Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps of the legends

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 9, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I was wondering what amps and cabs the following people use:

Jaco Pastorius - I know he used acoustic 360 but did he have a 8x10 or a 1x18 cab I also saw a hartke advert that they had built a 8x10 for him but i've never heard of him using it.

James Jamerson - What he used in the studio and live.

John Paul Jones - Live and studio use again.

Mr John "The OX" Entwistle - Back in the 60's before he had ashdown.

Paul Mccartney - His wings days and to present day.

2. jamerson used an ampeg b-15 live, and recorded direct in the studio. thats what i've read at least.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I thought Jamerson recorded a miced B-15. I don't know, maybe not.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    But didn't the beatles and one of there studio guys invent recording direct when they did sgt peppers? This means jamerson couldn't have recorded direct till the late 60's early 70's. Or am I wrong?

5. Actually, I might be wrong. I know that jamersons signature tone came from an ampeg b-15. The part about recording direct could be wrong. Im pretty sure I read it somewhere on this board.

6. Jamerson used a miked B-15 for all the Motown stuff up until the early '70s.

BP had an interview with Geoff Emerick, the Beatles' longtime engineer. He said that Paul was never DIed; instead, he would mike a Vox AC100 and compress the bejeezus out of it. The compression was really the key to McCartney's sound, IMO.

John Entwistle used Sunn amps early on, but embraced the SVT very soon after it came out. If I'm not mistaken, Live at Leeds is a P-bass into an SVT. After that, he started using sound systems designed for him by Alembic, if memory serves.

John Paul Jones recorded direct a lot, but one of his most famous sounds, from "Heartbreaker," was used by running some amp or another into a cranked Leslie rotating speaker cabinet.

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Jamerson's sound was achieved by plugging directly into a Fairchild or other limiter and going into the board. Live he used a B-15
    Entwhistle used Marshall's until Pete got his Hiwatt's. The "Live at Leeds" sound is ALL Hiwatt! Later he used Sunn, Trace, and now Ashdown
    John Paul Jones used Acoustic 360's for the real early stuff, and 370's later. Towards the end, he was using Gallien-Krueger stuff.

8. Well, I thought I was wrong about lot of those. I'd go with Gibsongeek.

9. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    And despite the rumours flying around in the late 60's, Paul never died !!

;)

10. I think in the Wings days, Paul played a big old Acoustic 1-18 folded horn with his Rickenbacker. Big sound.

chris

11. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Well, since nobody's said anything....

I'm pretty certain that Jaco used an Acoustic 360 head and 1x15 folded horn cabinets.

12. Yes, I too believe Mc Cartney used a Rickenbacker although I've no idea about his rig.

John

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If I'm not mistaken, Jonsey played a 2X15 Cerwin Vega cab with an Acoustic head. Of course "I" should know this stuff if anybody should (lest the powers that be at talkbass make me change my name to Bonzo), but I haven't checked my facts in a while. Also, the previous post about Heartbreaker was correct (distortion + Leslie effect), and was pretty much the only time that John Paul deviated from fingers, Jazz, and tape.

14. JPJ used a pick a lot, especially when he started using Alembic 8-strings with Physical Graffiti.

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Jaco used 2 Acoustic 360's with like 4 1x18's or something like that. There was a feature on him like 2 months ago in BPM.