Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps on stage and a wah

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I know you probably get alot of these, so don't flame me. Anyways, I got accepted into a band where my lead has a 350 watt marshall with a 4x12 or 4x10 cab (I don't remember). I have a Behringer BX1200. I love the sound from this beast. It's a big sound for a small amp. But, alas, it's probably not loud enough to hold it's own with the marshall. My mate plays his marshall on 2 and the neighbors are pissed. I heard complaints from mine being on 4, but still. It has XLR out, and I think I could probably run this to the PA. Am I right? Would I get a louder sound? Would it still sound good? Also, my Crybaby stopped working. I had it working fine, then I left the input in. I opened it several hours later, and the battery was REALLY hot. I replaced them, and it hasn't played since? Anyone got any ideas?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    350 watt Marshall? *** model is that!!!!!!??? gui****s should not be allowed anything over 100 watts by law. :eek: :D And yes, if you have an XLR out, you can run through the PA.

3. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Marshall Mode 4... I almost cried when he said it was a 350 watter... I mean I had JUST ordered a 120, and he upstages me. Like... ***? Anyways, I love the Behringer. Great sound for an aluminum speaker. Anyways, If I could only fix my wah...

4. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    you'll probably fry that amp first practice trying to keepup........itll short out ad you'll smell smoke and thats the end of that combo.

the sound....in all honesty......isn't that great compared to other combos. and i not ****tin on behringer, i had that combo and fried it ........

....a million people will recommend avatar cabs........get an avatar 410 cabinet and a hartke head and you'll be good.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That really is an insane amount of wattage for a guitar. Anything over 50 watts is overkill for a guitarist unless he is playing stadiums. If that gui**** is pushing an honest to God 350 watts, nothing short of a multi thousand watt pre/power system with several cabs is going to compete.

As far as the Hartke suggestion, my opinion (and ONLY my opinion), is that they are no better soundwise than Behringer. If you like the Behringer, stick with it, but powerwise it will not begin to compete with the Marshall. (and neither will a Hartke/Avatar setup)

6. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Hey, Yeah, You, with the multi-thousands of dollars recommending the hartke and all that. I am a Junior in high school. Read = I'm bloody poor. And I do like the sound from the behringer. He won't push it above 2 or so when we practice more than likely. This thing is pretty good for where I am talent wise, and such. I mean, I'm self taught, and I played the first 6 months of my 6 months bass career on a Kustom 30 watt guitar amp. I just got this amp a week ago. Hopefully it will work, but if not, meh. I'll live.

7. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    You know... I've jammed with this thing for probably upwards of ten hours now... and I just got a phone call from a neighbor who's house is at least 100 yards from mine... He said he could clearly hear the tone at his house. At volume level 2. And I'm inside. Upstairs. With no windows in his direction. That's pretty loud.

8. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    You're lucky to have anything in junior high! I remember when I was in junior high, I all had was a Harmony acoustic with only the low E string, trying to play along with my Led Zeppelin albums.:bassist: Those were the days...

Anyway, maybe it's not a power thing. If you're just not cutting through, maybe you need to adjust the EQ a little to get the most out of that amp. Otherwise, just tell the guitarist to turn that mofo down until you score some cash! As for the wah pedal, if the battery was hot, you probably have a short somewhere. Should be an easy fix for a tech.

9. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Bass sound waves have large wavelengths, so it takes a long ways for them to develop. That's a very common thing. That's why I gig with the amps I'm working on, and listen to friends play live with them too, instead of just playing them cooped up in my office all the time, so I can hear what the amps really sound like!

10. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I know a guitarist that has the Mode 4. It sucks, it's solid-state. A guitarist in his band has a JCM800 and the 800 is much louder, with much better tone in my opinion.

11. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    What a bloody relief. Still, it's loud. It's hard to tell, but I think I can just compete. And I have gone outside of my house with my cable through the window to hear it. It sounds good. Really good. And I'm a junior in high school, with a car payment. Not in junior high.

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    My bad. I dyslexic get sometimes!

13. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, dude. You're completely cool. The XLR out will go to the PA, and it will work fine.

Yes, your cab will fail miserably in trying to keep up with the Marshall. Luckily, I don't know ANYWHERE that will let him crank that up to full power.

If you're working with a PA that can support bass, then everything is fine. Use your combo as a monitor (pointed towards you and away from the audience) and run the XLR into the PA. Then laugh when the soundman tells your buddy to turn his Marshall down to the point where it barely pushes the tubes at all.

Frankly, even if you're not able to use PA support, your combo will probably be able to keep up if everything stays at a respectable volume. I had a buddy who used an Ashdown 1x15 combo and kept up with a Crate Blue Voodoo half stack, as long as the guitarist didn't crank his stack.

If the guitarist wants to completely open his bad boy up, assuming he has a speaker cab that can handle a full 350W... you'd need around 1000W to hold up the low end. You'd also all be deaf very shortly. I'd advise that you stick with your current combo for the time being and see what happens. If you're playing with a full PA, you're fine. That combo should be sufficient to give you a monitor and to shape your tone for the PA (ask the soundman not to EQ you if at all possible). If you're gigging with smaller PA primarily for vocals, your guitarist will have to keep his rig turned down, so you should still be ok.

You guys will just have to deal with this as a band. I have a 130W solid state guitar combo with 2 12s. Our last gig was in a confined space. I turned my amp up to 1. Our bassist, running 300W into a 2x12 bass cab, was running at about 5. Our drummer reports that he was playing almost at full volume. The room had a weird effect on the volume. The gig before that, I had my guitar amp on 3 AND was running it through PA, and the bass amp was still keeping pace at 5. All by its lonesome. And the drummer was miked through the PA...

Just keep playing.

As far as the wah goes, I've known a constant drain on a battery to heat it up a lot. I don't see any cause for concern in using the wah again. Even if it's broken now, you're not going to break it MORE by trying it out. I've even had pedals that I had thought were broken, and when I come back months or years later, they work great. Chalk it up to the Twilight Zone.

Good luck!

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Mode 4 is a soild state amp with the only tubes being located in the preamp. Still ridiculously loud and unnecessary for most applications (I read a A/B test between it and a JCM and it was equal or louder than it. The tester said it got so loud that noone in the guitar store could stand.), but who am I to protest if gain-happy guitar players have a want to ruin their hearing.

15. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, if you want to stick with Behringer and have a lot more headroom, pick up the 450W head and see if you can score a Steelsound cab off the internet. My bassist uses their 2x12 cab with a 300W Behr head, and it gets up to gigging volume, just barely. It starts to clip when you turn the gain and volume both up around 60%.

The whole rig should cost less than $500.

To get a little more bang for your buck, roll off the bass knob and let your mids cut through the mix.

16. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'm not going to play anyways if my guitarist is rippin'. It'll be one of those eruption things where I kind of just stand off to the side and bask in the reflected glory. But during normal conditions, I solidly believe I can keep up, now, after having talked with him. And if not, my hopes and dreams are gone, and I have a nice block of wood to throw off of the 50th story of the Wachovia building. Hopefully it won't come to that. ;) Even if I have to get something better, I like the sound of this enough, and it's loud enough to where it's not a waste, and I can use it at home solo. If I do have to get something else, then I'll probably trade this in, and grab a cab at the guitar store for the trade off, and dig deep for a few months to hit the required to get the Behringer 450. Let's hope that's not the case, because if you want the next Gene Simmons to come along some time soon, this either better work, or ya'll better start submitting paypal. ;)

17. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    You think these Mode 4's are incessantly loud, these things take the cake: http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Fender/PR/Metalhead.html
    550W of god awful tone (actually 400W since I was going through a 4ohm cab). Dirt as expected sounded horrible. I didn't even like the clean channels on these, but there certainly was plenty of headroom. :smug:

Also, I had a chance to try a Mode 4 for a while for kicks. Marshall name aside I actually liked the clean channel more than either dirt channel.
    I'll take my 30 watt of tubey goodness anyday. (And then maybe a nice 200W tube amp bass for my bass rig).

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Backing a guitarist while he's playin' leads once in a while during a song's ok, someone's gotta keep the groove. Just, don't get yourelf in a sit. where you just back him up while he wanks on his guitar for like 10 min straight or something.

Out of curiosity how are you using PayPal as only a HS junior? Wouldn't that place you being 17? Not really accusing just curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I find it interesting ppl can do this on PayPal... Watch the wallet I bought off ebay was by a 16yr old selling out of his room... enough off topic stuff: end rant

19. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    If he wants to wank, wank away. I will get my wanking session before the end of the set, and that's that. Actually, we kind of planned on me wanking first. You know, kind of open the curtains to the wanking bass player. And as for the paypal, you can get your credit card linked or something like that. My bank account gave me a check card, and it works. Meh. Mum said I could get one, so I did.

20. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting, well hope the situation works out.