Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps or PA ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joiner, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    My Band and I - we are at the moment deciding what is better for us, playing directly through a PA or using AMPs.

Can you suggest one of those things ?

Bang the Head that does not bang !

Joiner

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    How big the venue?
    No matter what, an amp is good having on stage for monitoring purposes. And guitar players don't go direct into the board.
    A fat amp would do for a gig with a few hundred people (if they are sardine-packed in a small club :)). Bigger than that, you would need a PA.

IMHO, YMMV, etc etc. :)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Do you guys have a designated sound man or are you going to rely on the clubs sound man to shape your sound. I agree w/Oysterman. You shoud have some kind of amp onstage as a moniter & have the guitars miked & you could be mikes or go through a DI box.

4. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    The main issue of the thing would be for rehearsals. Because when we rehearse, the vocals go through a stereo and aren`t loud enough.

Most bigger venues have their own PA System. So you would say go for an amp ?

5. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    A small PA... a single unit mixer and power amp... makes a huge difference for vocals in the practice room. The drums should be accoustic, and the guitars and bass should each have amps powerful enough to be heard over the drums, but not so powerful that even ear plugs can't help your ears.

But I have a similar question for stage. I just played my first gig as a bassist last Saturday. Venue was a wedding reception... don't laugh too hard, it was for a good friend who got married in Jamaica and wanted a reggae band for the reception back in the states. I had my mid-60's Ampeg at nearly maximum volume. The room was larger than many of the bars I've played in as a guitarist, but not nearly club size. I can't afford a more powerful amp right now, but I have outdoor gigs lined up. I'm thinking about getting a DI box, running into the PA, and then using my Ampeg as a moniter from the PA. Does this sound logical? Please help, I'm really new at bass gear.

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I'd agree that you should get a small PA for handling the vocals. My old band never used to have a PA, so the singer decided to plug into my 40 watt bass amp which had two inputs. The net result was that you couldn't hear the bass or the vocals, and every time I turn that amp's volume up above 2 or 3 now, it distorts and sounds like a g****r amp. Eventually, we got a PA and a new bass amp, and all was well.

However, I'd say make sure that the PA is quite powerful, 100W or more. Our PA is only 60 watts, and it's a struggle to hear the singer (When he starts ranting though, it's not such a bad thing...) Most venues should have a PA, so it doesn't have to be too powerful. However, for all the instruments, you'll neeed amps - I don't know how a small PA would handle distorted guitars and low bass frequencies.

So, basically you'll have to buy both - expensive, I know. Still, welcome to the wonderful, GAS ridden, world of music... ;)

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have a 100w PA for sale because I can't hear it over the drums at all... I would go for a 400w pa for the practicing and use the house pa when playing out. a good combo amp makes a great monitor for the musician on a shoe string budget.