Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps over $1,000 that Completely Stink!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    So you spent your hard earned money to feed that high end GAS craving on an amp, poweramp preamp combo that didn't live up to expectations...
    Bash em here boys... Sqaush somebodys GAS!
    It will help them in the end, its your good deed for today :smug:

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    SVT4-Pro...

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    SVT4 stinks huh? I wasnt impressed with the 3 when I was originally looking, I picked up the GK 1001RB instead & have been satisfied but the GAS rules my life!

4. SVT-4? I love mine! I'm not to sure about the svt 5 though. I hated my SWR, it would over heat so quickly.

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    You know if you look at the classified for almost any amp over 1K they are at least a 9 of 10... We'd be better off hearing about people who sold their high end stuff vs. those that are validating their recent purchases...
    What makes one sell their high end gear anyway?
    We all don't want to buy something that we'll have to sell for this type of cash!

6. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I'll elaborate. I had an SVT4-Pro for three weeks. Listened to an RBI pre'd rig with a similar cab. Immediately dumped the Ampeg and got an RBI. Through the same cab (SVT-610hlf) the RBI sounded (to me) warmer, fuller and more ballsy. In comparison the SVT4-Pro sounded tiny, thin and weak.

These are just my observations, but I'm smiling about my tone now.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    You would have thought that more people would chime in about their unwarranted GAS cravings but I guess it brings back bad memories of hard earned cash being thrown out the window. Maybe I should ask people why their ex broke up with them too :bawl:

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Mesa Bass 400
    Too scooped, not enough balls, overheated, $1200

looked cool though :cool:

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm hearing ALOT of stories like this. What's the deal with Mesa?
    :confused:

10. Bass 400 or 400+?

11. Hehe, Great idea for a thread! I realize that I'm risking the ire of any current owners but it's only MY personal opinion. The amps I've owned that I did NOT like were primarily Hartke and SWR.

Oh yes, there should also be an Eden on that list too. :bag:

12. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Thanks for the props, I thought this thread would get more hits... Thanks for the Mesa info too, I just read a thread giving them rave reviews (Like everything else!).

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd agree that the Mesa Bass 400 is too scooped for me (I owned one for a few months), and based on a 400+ I tried at a store, I'd tend to think the same for that one too. But...tons of people love them. A preamp that I disliked (and owned for 6 months or so) was the Alembic F1-X, but I know lots swear by them. Again, I thought it was too scooped, even when putting the mids to 10 and the others to two as suggested. But I care a lot about definition; I'm not trying to have a super warm sound that is felt but not heard...

Don't flame, it's JMHO. I know others don't like my preamp, the Demeter VTBP 201...I think the application for the amp, and player preference makes a big difference...just like basses. Or, maybe I've been lucky and I've never had something that really stinks.

Edit: For amps I've tried in stores, I was unhappy with Eden and SWR in terms of sound and controls. Haven't tried all of them though.

Marshall

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As I've stated MANY times before, it's Edens for me. I've owned 2 and used one on a tour, and they ALL clipped out during the set. One clipped out during the 2nd song and never came back on. :mad: I'll always hold that against Eden.

15. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    That was the 400 not the 400+ for me, but I think they're voiced the same. The plus has twice the power. They had just switched from the 6550s to the 6l6s then. It sounded good in the store through the RR 2x15 but sucked with my cabs. Some of the raves have come from those with 8x10s. For cabs that emphasize mids they probably work better. For those of us that dig the mids it can be a losing battle playing with the fender/alembic/mesa/swr preamp sound. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing a bit but I think there are those that know what I mean - all personal taste of course.

16. The Pres on the Mesa and the Alembic are pretty much the same Fender Bassman circuit. So I can see why you didn't dig em.

17. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    svt 4 pro....sucked....not enough power....for 1200 watts, i always had to crank it to get it to sounds good.....i thinks its more like 500 watts...maybe....ha....so i went out and got the svt classic...300 watts tube....wow...thats all i can say!

18. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I hated the SVT4 Pro in the store too... dreadful amp for that price

19. I have to agree. I tried and SVT 4 before signing on with GK, and it was not a good sounding amp to my ears.

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a SVT3PRo that I got at a very good price, but definitely not worth what they ask for them IMHO.