Amps produced for the Japanese market

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Howdy Friends,

I am looking at buying an amp that was made for the Japanese market for use here in the United States. The seller said the amp is made to work with 100VAC and for use in the US I would have to convert the voltage using an outside trans and the power cable is made for Japanese wall outlets.

Is there anything more involved here than getting appropriate power cord for use on American outlets?

Thanks!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Some amps can be rejumpered for use in different countries. If the amp’s power transformer works with only 100VAC line voltages, you’ll need an external line voltage converter or buy a new power transformer.

Some amps can operate on a wide range of line voltages. You would need the correct power cord and possibly change a fuse.

It all depends on the make and model of the amp.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

two fingers likes this.
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Back in High School our jazz band toured in Japan, this was in the late 80s. Our guitarist purchased a bunch of Roland and Yamaha(I think)rack effect gear...the exchange rate was good. When he got it home it all fried before he could play a single note, IIRC.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hope it does. Seems like a pretty cheap way out.

7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Some or most of Japan is or was 50 cyl power. If the amp is made for 100 VAC 50 cly, that could be a problem.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I had one of these a few decades ago that I got an external transformer for as it ran on 100V. Not sure what I did with the TFMR after I sold the preamp, might still have around here, somewhere.

Sony TA-E86B Preamp.jpg

Raw N Low likes this.
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generally a 50hz transformer will work fine on 60Hz but not the other way around.

Ric Vice, JKos, john m and 3 others like this.
  10. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    The answer is: sake.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Mmmmmm, yumi!

Sake.jpg

Lance Bunyon and basspraiser like this.
  12. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Ouch! Expensive lesson learned...

Did he all hook them up together at the same time and try them? Or did he fry them one by one by trying them out individually?

13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If they were in a rack it was likely all hooked up to a Furman rack strip and all came on at once.

14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    That transformers listed on Amazon is only rated for 200W. If the fuse on the amp is 2A for 100 volt operation, it just works and will have no real safety margin.

The power consumption of the amp should be listed on the back near the power plug socket. Multiply that wattage by at least 1.5 and look for a stepdown transformer that meets or exceeds that rating.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Crater, john m and Andyman001 like this.
  15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I was just there for 9 days on business.... Awesome food ... Cool music stores!

I almost came home with a bass!

Anyways.. Sorry to derail.

Good luck MM!

All I can say is that my 120v 60 hz laptop and phone charger worked fine there

16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Check the labeling on your charger. Many use switching power supplies and can operate over a range such as 100-240VAC.

cerrem, mbelue, basspraiser and 2 others like this.
  17. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Running 50 hz gear on 60 hz is generally ok. 60 on 50hz could be an Issue

18. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Verify current requirements

mbelue likes this.
  19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    What amp are you looking at buying?

20. I almost pulled the trigger on a Japanese stereo amp (100v). I decided it wasn't worth the headache, but check the voltage requirements on the unit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021