Amps produced for the Japanese market

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 12, 2018.

1. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I've bought electronics in Japan, some have an everywhere switch (internal or external), some don't have that for local sales. That was in the 1980's.

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That doesn't surprise me a bit, especially if you bought an amp that was made in Japan.

It wouldn't hurt to call Roger Sadowsky or email Koch, but I am pretty sure all the SA200s have the switch, especially since they were made in Europe.

3. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I noticed that under the cord receptacle it lists 100/120v. as well as 200/240v., what might be a clue?

See post # 21.

4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    They were made in Japan, but not MI amps. Just general electronics. Had to be watchful.

Wasnex likes this.
  5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thank you so much. With that switch change and a new power socket for the USA, I'll be ready to rock! :bassist:

Wasnex likes this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :thumbsup: but be careful. Opening the chassis exposes you to potentially lethal voltages.

While you have the amp open, I recommend you check the tension on the toroidal transformer mounts. The mounting nuts were so loose in one of my amps that I could spin them with my fingers.

If you know how, you might as well check the bias too. The cathode of each output tube is connected to a 1 ohm bias sense resistor. The bias should be adjusted to read 25-30mV across the 1 ohm resistors. Bias adjust and PI balance pots are in the black circle. Please don't attempt this if you don't know how.

upload_2018-9-15_3-15-7.png

7. MAJOR METAL

Would you know which fuse I should buy for use with the US voltage?

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Since the amp is coming from Japan, hopefully it already has the proper mains fuse, and also a spare in the fuse holder. For US voltage the proper mains fuse is a T10A, 250V, 5x20mm fuse. The current rating is shown under the IEC mains plug. There is also an AT1.6A, 250V, 5x20mm HT fuse on the rear panel. This does not need to be changed when the amp is switched from one voltage to another, but it would be good to have a spare.

The amp also has a couple of internal fuses, but if those blow the amp probably needs to go to a technician.

When does the amp arrive?

9. MAJOR METAL

Thanks, a lot to learn here! Funny, after playing for 22 years, I've only owned combo amps.

The amp arrived today. I changed the setting to 115V. Koch said I should change the fuse, what exactly is that part?

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I don't understand your question.

Check the fuse holder that is built into the IEC plug. 100V and 120V uses the same fuse, so your amp should already have the correct fuse.

upload_2018-9-25_4-2-40.png

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Some amps require a fuse change, this one doesn’t which makes it easier.

12. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Just wondering, with all the great amps already available here that won’t require extra gear or risk to run, let alone maintain/repair, why?

Jeff Scott likes this.
  13. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    In OP's case I would assume this specifically because it's an SA200 and/or price. I think the initial production run was 100 amps? Not sure how many they made in the more recent run but it was also limited.

14. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I never thought about JDM amps. Now I want to buy one and put a ricer wing on it.

Whippet likes this.
  15. MAJOR METAL

Thank you so much for your help with this. I adjusted the switch and I am up and rocking! :bassist:

Wasnex likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    With the flip of a switch, fuse change, and quick bias check, the SA200 will run on common voltages around the world. No special equipment is required beyond a standard multimeter. IMHO the amp has one of the best EQ sections of any tube amp I have ever played, and the amp's voicing is extremely musical.

The only two limiting factors I can think of related to the amp is the output power is only a bit over 200 watts and the street price is typically over three grand.

Whippet likes this.
  17. I live in Peru part of the time and the power there is 220, it is a royal PITA to lug a transformer everywhere you go. It's also very easy to forget and plug it in without the transformer, luckily the Ampegs I did that with (twice) were robust and the only problem I had were blown fuses. I then put big pieces of duct tape on them with 120V!!!! I have an SVT over there now and it converts to 220 easily.

18. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I just read this thread and was confused about the sake, and I'm Japanese, I had to have you guys explain it to me. I guess I'm drinking too much. LOL

Anyway, kinda funny how peeps overseas like the sake. My wife likes it , so do all her Ukrainian friends. Us Japanese, we consider it...... how should I say it without being snobbish, mean, derogatory, etc etc.....

Let's just say sake is kinda plebian. Filler sushi. I figure the ones at the automated sushi parlors are actually some sort of farm grown, (more like overgrown) trout that's become something resembling a salmon.

Automated sushi parlors spit these out onto the belt conveyer by the dozens during the weekend just to please the peeps who can't afford the marbled tuna.

Interestingly the sake caught in Hokkaido sells for 100s of dollars. No one ever eats that stuff with sushi. They just salt it and grill it. Eat it on hot rice.

19. How can you forget the transformer and plug it directly into 220V? They use different receptacles and plugs for 220V versus the Nema 5-15 connectors used in Canada and the U.S.

I guess if it uses a standard IEC power cord, the appropriate cables could get mixed up.

20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Not every country has made the best choice of outlets for 220V service.

agedhorse likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021