Amps produced for the Japanese market

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 12, 2018.

1. With all the talk of mercury levels found in sea food and the radiation washed into the sea from the Fukushima power plant, I've been generally avoiding consumption of seafood. Did they ever manage to seal off that reactor?

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    But that's where the big fish are.

saabfender and Fishheadjoe like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Fixed it for you ;)

MrCash and BadExample like this.
  4. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I s'pose, other than pizza vs. grappa, I usually know more about a county's booze than food, it's true - it's what happens when you bartend for many years, and drink for many more.

And ignoring the OP's (on this specific "sake" topic) condescending lecture, I have never heard of the fish called "sake". Now, this might be because I live in Chi where sake is costly, and typically often not fresh enuff, or it may be because I haven't spent 40 years asleep, and thinking I'm smarter/better/more sober than everyone else. ":roflmao:"

Finally, I'm not an alky, (as if it's anyone's business here, they care, or they meant anything other than a cheap insult), and I'm damn glad I'm not a self-righteous, holier-than-thou, passive-aggressive ":roflmao:", as they came off.

Sorry for the rant - but I reckon I'm entitled to respond to insults, even a second time. :D <--- laughing at self

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Whippet and saabfender like this.
  5. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    nope. the worst is this part, if you catch your fish off the coast of Fukushima, then bring the fish into a port in Nagasaki (just an example), the fish becomes Nagasaki fish. Nagasaki is 100s of miles from Fukushima and theoretically, the current doesn't allow the radiation to go beyond north of Tokyo. They do all sorts of things to avoid paying out for the damage.

This doesn't mean that fish that follow the current doesn't go from Fukushima down below Tokyo.

To be safe, in Japan, you have to eat caught in the international waters or in the Sea of Japan.

As to salmon in Europe (where I am currently), it's advised not to eat it at all. Supposedly all the contaminants go towards northern Europe where they catch those things. My wife was advised not to eat salmon of any kind when she was pregnant in Ukraine and other parts of Europe due to mercury. Technically the doctors told her tha she can eat up to half a pound every two weeks, but she didn't take any risk.

6. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I made that mistake with one of my amps the other month. I burned it up. I have a bunch of amps lying around and plugged the wrong power chord.

The local music store fixed it and actually changed the voltage too! I am thinking of getting the SA200 myself and having the music store in Kiev take a look at it next time I go back to Japan.

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Ebay shows a new SA200 in Japan stilll. But keep your eyes open, the SA200 was sold in Europe as well.

Whippet likes this.
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Whippet likes this.
  9. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    " Unlike the majority of sushi items, salmon sushi does not originate from Japan. This means that the majority of rolls are created and tailored to western tastes, as is apparent when one hears the names of the most popular sake sushi rolls and their ingredients."

Might be why I never heard of it in Chi.

On the other hand, we got smelt, crappie and bullhead. drool <--- sarcastic, altho' smelt can be ... OK, breaded and fried with lemon onnit. And lotsa beer. Oh no! Am I gonna be called a alkie again?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Whippet and agedhorse like this.
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You can avoid mercury and other contaminants by buying fish that originates from fish farms. Generally not as fatty as wild. I’ve bought very good frozen farmed salmon from Peru of all places. They ship it worldwide.

11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    What is it with western sushi and mayonnaise??? Yucko ;)

Whippet likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If a cat won’t eat it, you shouldn’t.

13. My wife is from Western Ukraine. If you leave the city and get out into the smaller villages, they have some wonderful stuff called Samohan, home brew alcohol; probably just as good as Saki.

14. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Fish from a fish farm has to be from a really good source. Anything China, avoid it like your mom in law.

I know of a guy in the fish farm industry and he told me that they feed the fish with so much antibiotics, it's just unsafe to eat. The worst are farmed eels. They do this because under normal circumstance, you can't have more than so many inches of fish in 10 gallons of water. The tanks are just too crowded and dirty. To compensate for this, they have to feed it a lot of antibiotics to keep them from getting sick and dying.

Anyway, grilled natural salmon with a lot of fat is really tasty. Never was a fan of salmon roe or caviar but they taste good.

15. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I will look into that stuff! I know that many people with a back yard and a fruit tree make all sorts of home brew. I told my wife that her father needs to stop making alcohol from grapes if he wants to live long.

In Japan, we have this drink called shochu. Really cheap. Think of it as vodka of Japan. You get a gallon of this stuff, a bag of plums, a kilo or two of sugar, then just poke holes into the plum and dunk it into the shochu and sugar.

Wait a year or so, and you got plum wine. My parents used to get all sorts of alcohol for free so we would make it with whiskey, burbon, shochu, vodka, cognac, etc etc. So simple to make and tastes great, I am surprised people in the States don't do this. It beats mixed drink by light years and you know what you're putting in and getting.

byacey and agedhorse like this.
  16. That sounds good, except I would remove the pit from the plum; they contain cyanide.

17. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I had a Serbian girlfriend whose uncle made slivovitz in his basement - it's a plum brandy. Deadly stuff, almost like cyanide! I have never tried, but have been warned, about shochu ...

Are we OT yet? :woot:

Whippet likes this.
  18. Ghook

Ghook

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I have a Japanese market Washburn VBA Bass Jr. It works fine here in the USA. Only noticible deal is the power on light is delayed coming on. It's solid state so the amp works instantly.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  19. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I was just about to write that.

20. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I just bought the SA200. Couldnt resist. It was just a tad over 1550 bucks for a barely used, (as in no scratch, no tube wear, brand new looking).

I will bring it to Ukraine next January. Can not wait to play this thing. I might just have to get a new cab....

Wasnex likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021