Amps produced for the Japanese market

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 12, 2018.

1. The outlets there accept both European and US type plugs which makes you need to be careful with American gear.

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :woot: Incredible price....less than half what I paid for mine.

Whippet likes this.
  3. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Once in a while, they have incredible prices on perfect equipment. I got my Sadowsky Metro MV5 for 1400 bucks equivalent in USD. This one was used for about a week. Apparently the owner bought it on a sale at 2200 because he couldn't bond with it. Sold it for 1350 to finance an F bass. I was at the right time, right place and got it at the ridiculously low price of 1400 for a bass with no wear, tear, or scratch.

Wasnex likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    These amps don't tend to show up in the wild very often, except in Japan apparently.

I bought both of my SA200s from what appeared to be bonafide eccentrics on Ebay. It took the first seller over a month to ship and there was lot's of drama and crazy stories. I think the guy may have been an invalid with serious medical and mental problems. There was evidence that he had actually won a fairly large some of money on some sort of game show, but I think he was also a cancer survivor. He didn't drive and said he couldn't ship until he got the money from PayPal. The catch 22 is PayPal wouldn't release the money till he shipped. Then he got sick and all communication went silent. I don't think he had internet where he was living. Eventually I worked things out with his brother.

I think I actually won the second amp twice. It was actually the first one I won, but the seller refused to ship. He raised the starting bid and relisted it several times and eventually people quit bidding on it. I think several people actually won the amp. At some point the seller dropped the price a bit and added a buy it now. I bought it somewhat out of spite and to my surprise, he shipped. I believe a very sick family member and overwhelming medical bills factored into the situation.

The last SA200 I saw sell prior to these went for around $2,700 here on TB....about 2 years earlier. I kick myself for not buying that one as it was mint and in a nice shock mount case. Since I bought mine, Sadowsky did a second production run, but they still don't seem to turn up very often.

Whippet likes this.
  5. I always find it hard to purchase something at a bargain price due to someone else's misfortune, sickness, death, bankruptcy, whatever. I've even intentionally overpaid some individuals because I felt bad about their personal situation.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I have a feeling they show up in Japan because of the exchange rate. Even in Japan, they are a pretty rare but I know of at least 5 brand new ones on sale. They hardly ever turn up at auctions. They appear at music instrument stores.

They probably make a limited run for the Japanese market every time the exchange rate gets to some point and the cycle seems to be anything form 2-5 years.

The SA200 I snagged was a really good deal. From the same store, I got a Markbass Multiamp for 600 bucks, band new. It's really just pure luck.

7. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    If it aint you, someone else will get it. If you're a good guy, the seller is a lucky guy to have sold it a nice guy.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    FYI I paid significantly over list price for both amps (in used condition) and was not aware of anyone's misfortune when I placed my bids on Ebay.

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

As far as I know there has been two production runs of the SA200. The exchange rate between the USD and the Euro is likely the driving factor as the amps are made by Koch Amps in the Netherlands. From what I have read, half of the first production run went to Japan, which has less than half the population of the US. I believe the Japanese tend to be into the latest trends in electronics. Between these two factors, probably no surprise to see these amps pop up more frequently in the Japanese market.

I don't know how the most recent production run was distributed, but SA200s from that run did pop up for sale on European Music store sites.

Whippet likes this.
  10. No, I wasn't suggesting that. It's just sad to see someone who has to sell off things because they are hard up for cash, due to tragedy and hardship.

Wasnex likes this.
  11. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014

You are right, the Japanese are really into the latest trend anything. Especially electronics. Kinda weird since the SA200 is a full tube amp, an analog technology from the days of manually spinning a top and rotary dial phones.

Anyway if you ever went to the major guitar shops in Tokyo, you'd be in awe. They literally have everything from the lowest 90 dollar basses to the 10,000 dollar and beyond basses. Just the other month when I was there, I saw 2 Carl Thompsons hanging on the wall along with a bunch of MTDs, custom Dingwalls, Jerzy, etc. And that just the beginning.

I guess it runs in the country and the people. We're more Otaku than the rest of the world.

Wasnex likes this.
  12. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Best thing is buy a good used USA made Ohmite VARIAC on ebay.... Turn it down to 100V and check it with a volt meter to make sure it actually is at 100V... Japan has both 50Hz and 60Hz depending on the East or West regions.. You should not have any issue going from 50Hz to 60Hz...

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    FYI the amp we are talking about is a Sadowsky SA200, which has a three position voltage selector switch.

Whippet likes this.
  14. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Oh... OK... I found the user manual and it shows the back panel voltage selector.....so your fine to us it at 100 or 120V..... It is designed to operate universally.....
    upload_2018-11-8_9-47-18.png

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Yes, although the switch is actually inside the amp. See gut shot in post #40. Bias and PI balance are identified in post #46.

The markings on the back are just embossed indicators. This seems intended so a sharpie can be used to black out the voltage options that are not relevant. The OP's amp was marked (see attached image in post #21), but both of mine are not.

Whippet likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021