1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by therev, Aug 9, 2012.

1. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    When I get my first comission check from my job, I am going to get myself a new amp and have been looking at several brands. Gallien Krueger, Mark Bass, Eden or Behringer.

Here is what I need in an amp.
    1. Combo amp
    2. 100 watts or around 100 watts
    3. headphones jack(I live in an apartment)

I would like feedback on each brand before I visit a guitar store and test each amp.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    One of the 4 brands you listed, (hint: it starts with a B), is not worthy of comparison to the other 3. Otherwise, it really is a matter of personal preference. Buy the one that sounds best to YOU. Good luck.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

4. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    very much this.

A bass amp is probably the worst application for this brand.

It's less like an amp and more like a fire waiting to happen.

5. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    go to music store and search for the fame bs3 - 125 combo amp..
    I got one.. its pretty cool

6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Personally, I would bank the first commission check and use the second one- you can never be sure if business will remain constant or improve. Hopefully, it won't get worse.

7. johng999

johng999

Jul 14, 2008
    I must be lucky, but I have one of the "B" brand amps as a backup and it won't die. It gets a lot of abuse and I have expected it to quit on me, but in 4 years it has kept on ticking.

8. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I don't understand the hatred for Behringer here. What makes them so bad? I have a friend who has one and just loves it. Please elaborate on what is so bad about them.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cheaply made by re-engineering existing gear and substituting cheap parts.

10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Every company will have some success stories with customers. It doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will have the same experience. And vice versa, of course.

I've heard very good things about the gk combos.

11. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I am also considering Orange as well. What is your input on these amps?

12. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    +100000000000

13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What's your budget? What genre of music do you play? What size groups and locations do you play with?

Also, are you thinking that this will be the only amp you buy for the next few years, or will you need something more down the line? Most combos don't leave a lot of room to add on to.

14. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Here is my original post. This is what I am looking for. Don't gig. I play all styles of music. No budget. But must be combo and atleast 100w. Anything lower wattage and I think the bass sounds thin and too guitar like.

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
  16. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    the few items of behringer gear I've had have been solid. I think Behringer's secret motto is
    "We skimp on nothing except sound quality!"
    I picked up my markbass LMII for 350 used and a single 15" cabinet for $150 (newish?). When good bass gear can be had this cheaply I think there's no excuse for buying "budget" stuff.

17. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I have decided to go with a gallien Krueger MB 110. I am pretty sure that if I do ever gig and need more volume I can connect a cabinet to this. Is that correct?

18. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I don't see that it has a headphone jack. For an extension cabinet, you'll have to buy a powered cab(cab with internal amp).

I suggest you check out the Fender Rumble 150. Same price, way more features, especially for listening and playing along with music input. Also useful for rehearsal and smaller gigs. If you get it up to ear level at a rehearsal, you'll be fine for most bands/jam. Just remember, the higher the volume, the less bass boost you'll need (especially to protect the speaker).

20. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    when I went on GK;s website last night, i am pretty sure that the spwcs said there was a headphones jack.