1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPs, Straight UP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael "Bass Jedi", Feb 5, 2016.

1. Michael "Bass Jedi"

Michael "Bass Jedi"

Feb 5, 2016
    Here is what has been plaguing me forever.

I have a 30 year old Marshall 20 (solidstate, no tubes), that was my first and most loved Amp, it is a Combo, and it plays WELL, lots of Punch and Thump, still love it.

I have ALWAYS wanted a Hartke HyDrive, and someday I will reproduce Vic Wooten's Stack, maybe with one that gets sold on eBay... For Right now though I want to get a HyDrive 4x10 Cab...

Is there any reason that I can't use a Cab off my Combo, is there enough power, am I going to get a Clean punchy Sound? Like I have always Imagined.

2. Sure, you can power a HyDrive 4x10 with your combo, but... but, why? If this was your "first and most loved amp" with "punch and thump" you're contradicting yourself looking for "clean and punchy" like you've imagined with a 4x10.
    Shame on you for wanting to cheat on your old Marshall!

Have you gone somewhere and tried out a head with a cab... something different from Mrs. Marshall?

3. It depends on the combo amp being able to drive an extension cab. Then the impedances must be correct.

If you only want to sub the big cab in for the combo speaker that can work too. Same deal with impedance, aka ohms. You would expect a 4x10 to get quite a bit louder than the combo cab.