1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps that do two ohms *safely*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 7, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am seriously considering selling my schroeder stuff and getting another wizzy so that I have a pair of them. To do this, however, I would need an amp that would run at two ohms reliably for 3hrs or more.

I am considering both integrated amps and poweramps at this point. I dont want to spend over $1000 and would like to get something pre-owned if possible.

I would like to have the amp to be at least 500w and not be excessively heavy.

I am would prefer more of a clean, (somewhat warm but not muddy) SS tone, but not sterile. The wizzys are already very clear which I love, but I do want some warmth.

amps that I am considering:

iamp 800/500 - maybe too much $?
    eden
    gk - any do 2ohms?
    stew 1.2 poweramp or similar.
    others?

the most important thing is that it can run two ohms without me worrying about whether its going to shutdown on me during a gig.

thanks for your suggestions!

2. The Carvin B1500 is rated to handle 2 ohms. And to deliver a max of 1900 W when doing so.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I checked out that Carvin B1500. Specs look very good at a reasonable price. Definitely a contender!

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Almost every Crown amp made will go safely to 2 ohms, although there are better sounding and lighter --much-- lighter amps available.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Carvin brx line

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Carvin B1500.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello! Since I weighed in quite a bit on your other thread, and enjoyed the discussion a lot... here I am again!

The Wizzy's sound very warm to me (given no tweeter and their kind of 'old school' voicing).... so my recommendation would be the iAmp500 (not particularly 'warm', but great power/size ratio.. and you should have plenty of warmth from the Wizzys). I've always found the iAmp's to sound GREAT with the EA cabs (I guess that makes sense, since they are made by the same company), and I just can't picture that big Carvin sitting on top of those little Wizzy's!

I would think the iAmp/Two Wizzy thing would be an awesome modular rig... lightweight, loud, and more 'even' sounding than your current Schroeder rig IMO. I would think two Wizzy's and the iAmp500 would give you comparable volume to your current Schroeder/amp combination.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    The new AI Focus at $1299 is a bit over your price range but since the series III came out the series II have been going for less and though they were rated only down to 4ohms on the web site Rick has indicated that they have exeperienced no problems with them run at 2ohms and the new ones reflect that rating on their site.

Hard to find a lighter, or smaller amp, as they weigh less than 5 lbs.

The series II is rated 600rms @ 4ohms and with the series III rated 800 @ 4ohms 1000 @ 2ohms I'd suspect you'd be well over your hoped for 500watts.

All the AI amps are considered to be very warm compared to older SS designs and may fit your needs; worth a look.

9. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Pretty close to your price range if you shop around is an eden wt800b which will put 440 watts into each 4 ohm cab till the cows come home. Very powerful eq. And as long as you wear a crash helmet it's pretty safe.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Eden WT550 all the way, fantastic little amp that I think meets all your demands

11. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
  12. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    If your going to buy a new amp any way, get it and try it with your Schroeder, then sell the Schroeder if you still don't like it. I would suggest Eden 550, they can be had under a $1000 new, it will give you 750watts a 2 ohms. I never played a whizzy so I don't know what they sound like with an Eden head.

13. 2-ohms is getting too close to a dead short for my comfort level. Yes, there are amps rated to support this low impedance. 2-ohms is also what makes the amp work the hardest and generates the most heat.

Heat is the enemy of electronics.

Look into the RMX 18050HD, as it is robust enough to dissipate the heat from 2-ohm loads. The obsolete QSC MX-3000a was outstanding for 2 ohm loads. Weighing in at 69 pounds, it is like having Godzilla in your rack. No fun at loadout.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    My Peavey Mark VIII is being run @ 2 ohms(600 watts) without any problems, and I paid less than $250 used, with a 2 year warranty for it... I'm sure a Firebass 700 would do nicely for you - and I'm also seriously considering picking up one of those Carvin B1500s in the future - I've yet to hear a negative about them... I'm leaning towards sticking with 2 ohm capable amps, because I have (2) 4 ohm cabs that I like very much together...

- georgestrings

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd go for an Iamp 800 or 500, both of which can be had used for less than $1000. They sound great with Wizzy cabs. As far as the Carvin, I don't know if the rated wattage is BS or not, but if it isn't that's kind of a lot of watts to be putting into Wizzy's, which are not rated for real high wattage. I think a WT550 would also be a great head for a pair of Wizzys.

16. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    there is a sticky on 2 ohm amps and a lot of great info there. look for it at the top of the amps forum

17. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    Kustom Groovebass, 1200 watts @ 2 ohms. Best SS amp that I've played through. I run mine @ 4 ohms which is 750 watts, and I never have to turn it past 3, very loud amp.

18. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Genz-Benz's GBE heads do.

GBE400, 600, 750, 1200 -- take your pick.

19. sunn/fender 1200s

20. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada