1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps that offend people club?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimiLL, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Im thinking maybe starting a club for guys with amps that have more cones, more watts and maybe most importantly more pounds than the going trends. Haters gonna hate club, so to speak?

I'll go first... this offends people because it's a rackmount setup, I'm using a heavy lead sled power amp, it's got 3x the wattage anyone should need, and the normal layout 4x10 cabinet is clearly an inferior design. And the cab weighs 2x too much.

IMG_0409.JPG

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    R&B, mikewalker, Bassmec and 17 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Trace Elliot Rig Of Doom.
    My bi-amped rig has been known to offend the neighbors. ;)

R&B, Amory2113, BurnOut and 17 others like this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A properly configured backline bass rig should be obnoxious and light-up like a Christmas tree. Nobody likes a sterile stage.

Riis

R&B, Mister Boh, 2112 and 25 others like this.
  4. Don't be a hater bud

shadven likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What are you talking about? Your pic is great! Extra points for the rackmount tuner with the racing LED.

Riis

6. Haters gonna hate bud... there's all kinds of dwarf amp threads maybe you be better suited over there. And I like my tuner, I'm keeping it for when it comes back in fashion!

Mister Boh, shoot-r and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    '
    What are you talking about?

gebass6, joebar, NOVAX and 5 others like this.
  8. My tuna!

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Love the tuner...the more lights, the better. The to 'n fro movement has an almost hypnotic quality. Add the blinking compressor lamps and you've got the formula for a cannot-be-ignored stage rig.

10. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I had that rack minus the tuner but with a rack mount wireless. Still miss my SVP-Pro. One channel on my Carvin died or I would probably still be using it.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    leslie-950.

12. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Please...

I've been astounded at the looks down a few folks' noses at my SVT these past couple of years. A big amp and a big cab. No rack needed.

(especially when I show up with a set of IEMs as well. When asked 'why?', my response is "if you have to ask the question, you ain't gonna understand the answer".)

13. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    As a guy who carries in a GK combo with a passive Fender plugged directly into the amp......this is slightly offensive.:) But seriously, i had a very similar rig in the 90's.

mexicant, basses51 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    The only thing I hate is when I walk in to see a band and the bass rig:

1. Is an 810 in a venue that holds 50 people

2. A Crate amp

3. There is no bassist just a keyboard player

15. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Someone could have simply mentioned a 410-115 setup and this thread would have completely derailed.....oooops!

16. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I have no idea if any of my rigs (or basses) are offensive, but here they are. Flame away: Acoustic_Image_BagEnd.

20151220_172449.

2016-05-07 18.57.36.

Sincere apologies if anyone is offended... I really mean that.

:rolleyes:

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I use a rackmounted Demeter HBP-1 and a Crest CA9 to power my cabinets. My favorites for big stages are a pair of Mesa PH212's. And I'd LOVE to own another pair of PH212's. Run 900 watts into each pair. Talk about stage coverage! :bassist:

basses51 and SactoBass like this.
  18. The only people this thing offends are the people that get stuck lifting that 170lb block of wood I call a speaker cabinet onto the truck or stage. I came across a good picture of my eight 15" rig that I'll have to scan and post here! That freaked everyone out.
    20170715_203857.

chaosMK, meatwad, mikewalker and 13 others like this.
  19. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Anything with mixed drivers will be offensive to many around here. No place else do folks get bent over it, but on TB it is a meltdown issue. And for the record, I have nothing but love for mixed drivers that work well together.

mixed driver  pizap.com14539443921341.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Oh man! I just gotta get me one of those! That blows the doors off those old Kustom vinyl car seat cabs.

Check it out!

Pair that with The Mothman! Talk about the ultimate Rig of Doom. :cool::woot:

BrBss, gfen, bassestkkm and 22 others like this.