1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps that sound best with Avatar cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, Jul 5, 2014.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I have an Avatar 210 and 212 bass cab loaded with Delta Pro LF drivers. Both are rated at 4 ohms each and are currently powered by a Carvin BX1500 amp. I have tweeked the Carvin as much as possable but still not getting a tone simular to my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. Obviously I can't power both speakers at the same time with my GB and since its hard to find a GB ShuttleMax 12.0 or 12.2 which have dual amp outs, I would like to know what other amps sound best with Avatar cabs that have dual outs.

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I use my Hartke LH1000 and can't get it to not sound great. IMO the best combination ever. Hartke & Avatar = perfect. The price on LH1000's is amazing for what you get. My Cabs are each 4 Ohm and I run in Dual Parallel. The Balance knob stays centered but you may need to favor one cab or the other.

3. Or get a pre + power amp setup.

dmrogers likes this.
  4. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    You could always get an ABY box and a second Shuttle 6.0 and have two amps and two cabs running. The Shuttle 6.0 is the amp I used with my SB112 (before I sold the cab) and it did sound great. The only drawback to a pre + power amp is that you will need to possibly spend some time trying different arrangements there until you get something you like and then you'll have spent a lot more time and money. Shuttle 6.0 are not that expensive and an ABY box runs about $60. Good luck!

5. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    +1 on the Hartke LH1000 What an amp.
    But my one rig for the large gigs is 2 avatar 4x10's using a Sunn300T Just an amazing head and through those speakers i can rock festivals with them.

6. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    gk rb 2001 has 2x 500w poweramps +2x 75w amps for tweeters if you want them+ footswitchable high gain channel that mutes the tweeter amp when its on+ killer gk tone
    my dreem rig is one of these w/2x fearfull 1212/6/1 cabs.
    im running one fearfull 1212/6/1 right now with a gk mb800 and it's awsome

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Right now I can only dream about a Sunn but I know how right you are. I've seen them in action. Do you have any links to some video?:)

8. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    There was a few videos, but mostly done on vhs (stoneage brother lol)
    Mine was cheap due to that the owner new nothing about bass and sold it to me with no tubes for 300$ a few years back.
    Played a show at an open park in front of about 500 people and didnt use PA.
    Needless to say there was no comments about not hearing the bass. :)
    Nowadays i run my GK MB212 for 90% of my gigs.

9. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's a 12.o on ebay now.

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

In the past five years I've driven my two, 8 ohm, Avatar 210 neo cabinets with my 1984 GK 800RB, a GK MB2-500, a Ampeg PF-500, and now with a Hartke LH1000.
    "To my ears", the standout heads have been the GK MB2-500 and the Hartke LH1000 with the Hartke being the overall winner.

11. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    To get your carvin amp to sound more like the shuttle, try boosting low mids a little bit.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I like this set up!! It suits me just fine.. GK 400 RB with the Avatar 410...

Attached Files:

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My sense of it, FWIW, is that most all of the traditional workhorse rock amp brands will make for the best match for the Avatar cabs, i.e. Ampeg, Carvin, Eden, Gallien Krueger, Hartke, Mesa, etc. Not necessarily so much the more esoteric, boutique makes, such as Acoustic Image, Demeter, Euphonic Audio, Glockenklang, Tecamp, etc.

I think of Avatar as a sort of "meat & potatoes" kind of cab. That's its character; that's its strength. It really needs a "meat & potatoes" kind of amp.

MM

14. Another vote for Hartke. My HA2500 pairs perfectly with my B210 Delta, and I have no doubt it'll pair perfectly with both B210's when I get a second...

15. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Yes, getting another Shuttle 6.0 is an option, and a good one. However, with the pre/power amp option he could simply use his current Shuttle 6.0 as a pre. So his only additional purchase would be a power amp (Like a Peavey IPR).

Any time I see a post like this, the first thing I think about is a backup head. Does the OP have a backup? Of course, that's just me, I never go to a gig without a backup. So, if he buys another Shuttle, he would have a backup AND a solution to his problem.

Jim Carr likes this.