Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amps the size of a cigarette box... digital amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Jan 15, 2005.

1. from hevos.nl:

[​IMG]

this is gonna be their new amp. a UcD class D amp.... aka digital amp. theyre planning on introducing a 1HE head, 550W @ 2 ohm / 400 @ 4 ohm, with tube pre section at sunner namm.

so whats the story with these little amps? are there any other amp builder that uses this technology?

can eden pack up their traveller series because we will be seeing tiny amps in the near future?

please tell me more about this, cant find any info on it elsewhere :)

edit: most importantly, how much will it cost :D

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If it was affordable, and reliable, that would be wonderful.

3. As far as I'm aware, Acoustic Image amps and that lightweight Yamaha amp use a class-D power section as well. I remember reading some comments around here about how they were light but not as reliable, but don't quote me on that.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    AI amps are stupid light.

FWIW, the coolest amp i've seen is a 150 watt power amp by HK (discontinued). The size of a walkman. the owner of milford music uses it with a seymour duncan stomp box preamp and a couple of 1x10 be cabs. most rediculous load in ever. :D

5. Euphonic audio's new amps are class D as well.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I remember that Rob told me about these last year and how they had great plans for them.
    Former distortion problems with class D have been corrected by Philips.
    Actually I got a chance to test try a PA amp prototype for a few weeks.
    2x450 W, size of a standard enveloppe. Twas great.

7. with rob you mean rob de vos?

what would thsoe amps probably cost, more or less than a thousand euros?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah I visited him last year and got a chance to test try most of their stuff. He's a very nice guy, he even let me try his old Sadowsky.
    They already were working on this head.
    I don't know how much it's gonna cost but definitely over 1000.
    I mean, their current mono 400 W model goes for 1425 €. They're not exactly a cheap brand.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a word about price.
    we have it cheap kids
    last i checked a pair of B&W 802 nautilus speakers for your home stereo were 8000 US. An aquantance of mine's daughter gets paid to break in new cellos for a builder here in CT. His cellos aren't the most expensive, they're only 25 thousand dollars.

10. i know....