Amps w/ DI Levels

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twangchief, Mar 18, 2005.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've seen some amp models having a level on thier DI's. Do these levels have the ability to completely mute the DI signal? I would like a way to mute the front signal without buying a seperate DI.

2. Well if you turn the level right down thats what'll happen, thats what it does on mine anyways
  3. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    With my SM-400S, I can't totally mute the signal on the DI. But if you're just doing that, why even plug in?
    I don't think I totally understand your question.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, my Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600 has a level for the DI, and I've found that if you dial the level completely down you won't get any signal to the board. If this is an intended mute function, or just the byproduct of an incredibly weak signal is unknown to me. However, that being said, since the control is in the back and there is no footswitch or front panel control to adjust the level I don't see it as being a very viable option on this particular amp head. On others it might be more useable in that regard.
  5. I recon hes maybe meaning for a break inbetween sets or something?

Turn it down or whatever, id personally just turn the bass down or turn the amp off or to standby
  6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I have another question about this. Where do you guys tend to leave your DI level? Someone once told me to keep it full on and let the FOH deal with the signal that way, and then I played a show once where at the end the soundman said "Well, you weren't coming through the mix at all because your signal was too hot so I couldn't do anything with it." Of course he couldn't tell me that after the first tune... Now I usually just keep it at 12 o'clock. I wish mine was just a set level so I didn't have to mess with it.

7. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I want to be able to warm up or practice before a job without accidently being in the mains. I know its a soundman issue but you know how they are to deal with sometimes if they are not your own.