1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps & Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mofungo, May 7, 2002.

1. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I picked up my first rig yesterday (MIM Fender P & Fender Bassman 25).

While in the store (it was noisy), the amp seemed to be loud enough; however, when I got home and got set up in my basement, the amp didn't seem nearly as loud.

While I got the amp for personal practice, it doesn't seem to be that loud. It is very clear and sounds great to me--just not loud enough. I can run the volume all the way to the right, and it still doesn't seem that loud. I can certainly hear the bass, but it doesn't boom.

Will a 60w or 100w amp make that much of a difference? I not interested in spending the money for a 300w system.

-mofungo

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yes, a 60 or 100 watt will be louder. But before you go and buy another amp, try a few things first.

Put the amp up closer to your ears, like on a table.
    Make sure the bass and mid knobs are not pointing left.
    Treble should point right a little. (It will help you hear better.)

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it could be that or your bassment might not have good acoustics. i would play my 100 watt amp head a 15 cab in my room and it wouldn't be loud at all but if i put in a bigger room and was alot louder and sounded better

4. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'll try playing it in my living room this afternoon when I get home. The room is 29' X 32' with a cathedral ceiling.

I don't want to rattle the windows. Maybe my hearing is going; I am 36.