Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps & Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mofungo, May 7, 2002.

1. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I picked up my first rig yesterday (MIM Fender P & Fender Bassman 25).

While in the store (it was noisy), the amp seemed to be loud enough; however, when I got home and got set up in my basement, the amp didn't seem nearly as loud.

While I got the amp for personal practice, it doesn't seem to be that loud. It is very clear and sounds great to me--just not loud enough. I can run the volume all the way to the right, and it still doesn't seem that loud. I can certainly hear the bass, but it doesn't boom.

Will a 60w or 100w amp make that much of a difference? I not interested in spending the money for a 300w system.

-mofungo

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yes, a 60 or 100 watt will be louder. But before you go and buy another amp, try a few things first.

Put the amp up closer to your ears, like on a table.
    Make sure the bass and mid knobs are not pointing left.
    Treble should point right a little. (It will help you hear better.)

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it could be that or your bassment might not have good acoustics. i would play my 100 watt amp head a 15 cab in my room and it wouldn't be loud at all but if i put in a bigger room and was alot louder and sounded better

4. mofungo

mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I'll try playing it in my living room this afternoon when I get home. The room is 29' X 32' with a cathedral ceiling.

I don't want to rattle the windows. Maybe my hearing is going; I am 36.