Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Mar 31, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i need advice!!!!!
    i want to buy the following

2X marshall bass amps 50watt solid state
    2X marshall bass amps 50watt tube

thats the combo i want to use but i want to know if anyone knows if that sounds better or worse that anything??????
    thanks
    Lukas

ps: "Practice makes perfect but no ones perfect so why practice"- Billie Joe Armstrong of Greenday. I still practice alot though.

2. I've heard a lot of people here say that Marshall are not the company for good Bass amps, and now I have to say that I agree. I've used a B150 combo for a while now and am reasonably pleased but have spent a lot of time recently looking for a new set up and have just ordered an Ashdown rig it sounds brilliant, but you should try Trace Elliot, Eden, and SWR. All these companies know what they are doing in relation to bass gear. Best of luck.

Stu

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    i checked out the trace elliot site and sent them an email, im just getting some prices and stuff for now but thats the type of combo Mike Drint from GreenDay plays and his sound is awesome. he also plays 67 and 69 model fender precision bass guitars.
    also if anyone here has a Gibson Grabber G3 with sliding pickups for sale please post it here in your reply. and if you have any fender precision bass guitars for sale post them too, thanks everyone
    Keep playing forever
    Luke

4. Check the november 2000 bass player...Mike dirnt does not use any combos...just a couple ampeg SVT's (driving an 8x10) with either A Yamaha (guitar head) or gallien krueger driving a 4x10 mesa cabinet w/guitar speakers.

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    on most of the GD sites Mike Drint has said that Mesa-Boogie (www.mesa-boogie.com) has made him a "personalised" combo. its on the mesa site.
    later
    Luke

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    that mesa boogie site i typed before was wrong, heres the correction (www.mesaboogie.com)
    thanks
    Luke

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For bass, Marshall blows.

9. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    Mike Drints real name is Mike Pritchard, they have him listed with Mike Pritchard as a name. he is located under Billie Joe Armstrong lead axeman of GD. look in the band name column on the left and they are next to GreenDay.
    thanks
    Luke

10. why do marshall bass amps suck? I have never played one and all i hear is trash...

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    rel, if all you've heard is trash, why do you even think about the danged things? Because of their reputation with guitar players? Will it get you more chix if they see you in front of the ubiquitous "Marshall Stack" pretending to be a guitar player? If that's it, I'll give you a clue. Get Eden equipment (or even Ampeg, if you must), take off the badges, and put Marshall badges on. That way, you'll stand a chance of sounding good, while still garnering all those chix attracted to Marshall stacks.

12. CHILL!!!
    serenety now, serenity now....

why do they suck????????

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah ... I'm just in my grumpy phase. Sorry, man.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Marshall bass amplification is not trash, but considering the plenitude of other brands and models out there, I have a hard time to justify buying one. Many other brands will give you a better tone per dollar ratio. Even the more expensive ones.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Do you think if I put a Marshall label on my Rogue 30w Combo that I could be a rock-star?

Hmm... but then again.... I don't know if I want all them wacky groupies hangin around anyways... wifey gets mad yaknow...

Am I reading correct that you are thinking of getting 4 50w amps??? That seems kinda weird. If you were already familiar with the sound and you were buying them for THAT EXACT sound then I would understand and respect your idea. BUT... it seems that you are talking about buying that stuff on guitar reputation alone.

This brings me to my idea for you. Why don't you describe what situation you are playing in (rock/jazz/whatever), what equipment you are playing against (marshall 100w head/2 4x12 cabs and acoustic drums or whatever), and tell us how much money you can spend. Then we will be in a better position to offer you constructive solutions.

If you have the dough for Marshalls you can get better equipment and probably even save a bit of money too buy looking at all the brands.

16. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!
    hi
    well i was gonna buy all that stuff but this week i went into my local music store(theres 2 in my town)and the guy there said that he lends equiptment to bands that are playing gigs, no charge. he and friends will come in set it all up and lend you anything in their shop for free. no joke. SPEAK TO YOUR LOCAL DEALERS NOW, THEY ARE REAL COOL GUYS.
    ps. the guy who said that had a PRS given to him for being a good worker(must have been damn good!).

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ...ummmm... what store was that exactly ashey? I am making my list right now. Do you know any place to rent a semi?

I am pretty sure that the vast majority of stores don't want to convert their new equipment to used. (With the maybe/possible/still unlikely chance of used by rockstar)

Now I am curious. Exactly what did they loan you free of charge?

18. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    it wasnt me but it was some guys i go to school with who played in the school hall. they were lent a bunch of 600watt amps and all(some serious sh!t)and the guys were all playing new ibanez for lead (uggg, i dont like ibanez for some reason, i never have liked them) but i didnt see what the bassist was on. he had a wicked bass though, we heard it a helluva long way away.