1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cliffdanzig, Jul 11, 2001.

1. cliffdanzig

cliffdanzig

Jul 11, 2001
    ok heres the deal, ive been playing for quite awhile and i have been in a band for awhile too and we are wanting to go professional and we got the songs and the heart and the experience but hey what is the best amp head, power amp, and/or cabinet, im looking for durability, sound(hard rock), power and other things but i dont want to mention them all
    thanks
    later

2. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I guess an obvious choice would be SWR...but you will haveta give the extra info...ie: what you like in your sound.(Punchy and tight, looser tone, meaty...what kinda speakers do you prefer? 15, 10, 18, 8...) ALso, how much are you looking to spend. Do you have roadies....

All that good stuff would help:)

3. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i'm guessing if you've been playing for awhile, that means you are currently playing through something and apparently it's not working for you. if you could be a little more specific, we could help point you in the right direction...

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For hard rock, the standard is still the Ampeg SVT head and 8-10 cabinet. If you have not tried one, do so before you check out other amps.

5. cliffdanzig

cliffdanzig

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah im playing through a peavey combo b/c my band usually just played clubs and various events and i never need anything else so im not fully familiar with cabinets and stuff but i know some info so i guess if you could give me and idea about what to check out that would help and i was wondering about the mackie amps and cabinets b/c they sound good and like they will work out but im not sure if they are worth it but im serious considering buying either mackie ampeg or swr
    thanks
    later

6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I ran out of breadth before I could finish reading your reply.

If you are looking at Mackie power amps, you're gonna have to buy a preamp. A basic decent one is gonna run you several hundred bucks, even used, + the power amp. The Mackie speakers are full range PA speakers and probably would not be the best for bass guitar. There are others that aren't too expensive to start that might be worth looking at.

The gk stuff, especially the new RB 400 and 700 and their 210 cab sound pretty decent and aren't bank or back breakers. SWR Workingman series and the Hartke 4000? head is a step up from a basic TNT, but again, you gotta have some money to do anything.

If you have some cash laying around, go onto e-bay or bassgear.com and there's a ton of nice used stuff, not usually too old, that are great "bargains" compared to buying any of the above cabs or heads new. Check it out.

Good luck. Learn punctuation!!! Periods are a good thing in more ways than one.

LKaye

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the best amp is the one your ears think sounds best. take your bass with you to a few music stores, and try as many different amps as you can, then let your ears be the judge as to whats best.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    after messing my back with big rigs now i'm in love with the ampeg b100r. only 100 watts but a monstrous volume output. i'm really satisfied with that amp, even during the live show, i play always small venue...

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMO portability is key. I say RACK IT!!

Mike