Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm looking at the SWR WM10 or WM12 or the Carvin PB 10 or 15 and wonder if anyone can help me decide. I just need a small but powerful amp to play with a drummer in jam sessions at a house or small party. I have a larger amp that I use for gigs. The 30 watt Peavy 110 had a difficult time last weekend. I'm lucky that it didn't blow!
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I own a Carvin PB10 and have auditioned the SWR Workingman's 10. As far as I can tell, they're almost dead even as far as tone, loudness and luggability are concerned. Both produce a clean tone at reasonably loud volumes, but noise and distortion are detectable when you're running them flat out. The tweeter on the SWR doesn't really add much to the sound, IMO. If all you're playing with is an (unmiked) drummer in a coffee-house sized venue, either should cut it. Of course, if you add electric guitars and a miked drumset to the mix, neither will.

The SWR, of course, has greater cachet and resale value, so if you can find one that's in the price range of the Carvin, ie. $300-350, go for it. If someone's charging more than $400 for the SWR, they're ripping you off--go for the Carvin.
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thank you for your suggestion!
  4. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'd go with the Workingman 12.