1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by big daddy mack, Feb 22, 2003.

1. hey people. I am new to this so I want to start by asking some questions. I want to know what are ohms and what are they used for. Also whats the difference between a working mans three hundred, and an swr 350. the 350 only has 50 more watts but its twice as expensive. I like low end and I play through a swr WM 300. I get a lot of "speaker fart" how can I cure this problem. More watts maybe??

2. Ohms are what you measure impedance in (i believe). Impedance is a circuit's resistance to alternating current. Bassically, ohms are the load a speaker cab presents your power amp. If you have a lower impedance, it will draw more power from the amp. Watch out though-you put too low a load and you can damage a power amp. As far as the SWR question, I don't know-probably just more options, higher quality pre/post amp components......and as far as the speaker farts, you might have a damaged speaker...