1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kooler22, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kooler22

kooler22

Jan 10, 2012
    I'm new to the bass trip. I'm looking for advise on a bass sytem. Available to me with
    1. Acoustic B600 head with 1 B115 Neo cab and one B210 Neo cab. Or, an Amgeg SVT-CL Head (300watt) with a SVT 410 LF CAB.
    The Ampeg rig is about $600 more. I play classic rock covers. Does any one have any advise? Thanks

2. Can never go wrong with an SVT! I'd personally go with Ampeg, and I'd consider the PF series heads (maybe a PF500) if weight is an issue for you, as they're nice and light. Check out the SVT-7 Pro, not quite as light or small as the PF series heads but have more power and really capture that SVT tone in a smaller package.

I'll give you the mandatory you shouldn't mix speaker sizes on the B115/B210 pairing, as the 115 will handle less power as its single driver will be receiving the same power as the 210 will distribute the power over its 2 drivers. As you can imagine this puts stress on the 210!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg is a lot more because it's a lot better.

4. Ampeg. I don't like those Acoustic amps, to soft and not punchy (just my own opinion.)

5. Ampeg isnt my sound, but given those two as options I would never pick the acoustic over the Ampeg. Its just plain better. Better head, better cab, better tone.

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah. Don't mix driver sizes. The 410HLF kicks butt. Great rig.

7. +1

Acoustic is GC's in house brand, and unless we're talking the USA Acoustic shop, there's no way GC's Acoustic will beat out Ampeg.

8. kooler22

kooler22

Jan 10, 2012
    I can buy an Ampeg SVT Classic bass amp & 8 10inch cabinet 1990's for $2300. Any comments?

9. Lopez73

Lopez73

Feb 13, 2012
    Ampeg all the way.

10. Welcome back to TB kooler22 - the Ampeg SVT Classic and 810 are awesome - buy it already.

11. Kooler22, what do you mean by
    and why only these two amps? Where do you live - somewhere without music stores?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-854167/

12. kooler22

kooler22

Jan 10, 2012
    Correct. No Music strores within 2 hours also the ones that are around have limited selection. Mostly shopping online for used gear

13. Buzter

Buzter

Oct 23, 2009
    Personally I think the acoustic Heads sound good. THe cabs..meh. I have a b600h and have no complaints. Through an ampeg cab it has a lot of punch. My b200h is much more so than my pf350 too. Just saying A-B'ed them for hours to see the differences. Not 100% in love with my svt450h head. It;s ok just not up to the tube stuff.