Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a4gash, Dec 20, 2000.

1. a4gash

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm in search of a cabinet to match my Traynor Bassmaster Mark II. The head was rated at 95 watts but I'm not sure what it's putting out now. I'm looking for a 15" with or without a tweeter or horn. The smaller the better. My style is mostly Jazz, blues, and soul and I like a low round tone. Is there a perfect match? If not should I lose the Traynor and go for a small combo? If so, which one? I don't have a lot of money so that's a consideration too. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Low, round tone... Ampeg comes to mind... their SVT-15E might be your choice, but it lists for $549, which is... too much? However, it is a 1x15" cab, no tweeter, no fuzz, 200 W @ 8 ohms.

If you're on a budget, you could have a look at Peavey cabinets as well. I've heard good words on their BlackWidow speaker-equipped cabs, and there is a 1x15" sub (115BX BW model, lists at $340), but I think a 700 W cab is a bit too much for your 95 W head - the closer the amp and cab ratings are, the better they will sound together... plus it's heavy as hell. The somewhat cheaper 115BX cab is rated at 400 W, but it has the Scorpion speaker, which of what I have heard, is not that good.

If you wish to go for a combo, I'd suggest the Ampeg combos. I think that the Ampeg BA-115 combo (100 W with 1x15") is cheaper than the Ampeg cabinet mentioned above, and it makes the package more portable.

I wonder though, can your 95 W head with a 100 dB sensitivity speaker generate enough output? Everyone has different requirements, but surely you aren't going to use this rig for live performances without PA support, right? :confused:

Look around, you might find the perfect match... but have in mind that the best things never come cheap.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I have a very good SoundTech with a 15" EV (125W @8 ohms) that would work well.