1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amptweaker "TightFuzz" ... who is going to get one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Mar 21, 2013.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
  2. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

got mine about a month ago, heard it at NAMM and had to have it! I really dig it, can get a wide array of tones from it. I'm setting it now just slightly gritty, but can get crazy, love it! And James is a super nice guy that handmakes these with his wife!
    8506157977_d7dda4cf33_z.
    One of my many loaded PT Minis, I think I have a pedal problem/addiction :)

Driven Crane and Unemploid like this.
  3. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    Nice board! Seems like we are twins separated at birth (also got the Groove Regulator and the OC-2, plus interested in the TightFuzz).

Can you compare the TightFuzz to other fuzz-pedals you own?

4. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

I'm not too good at describing my pedals, but I know what I like. I seem to group all my dirt together - fuzz/overdrives- and just judge by how much or how little I can get.

The amptweaker has a ton of options to get different sounds, and still blend a clean tone. Nice and varied, I'm able to get little to tons of dirt/fuzz. I have a BBM that I dig but it's more fuzz than dirt, same for my MXR bass fuzz deluxe. I really like an older Polish Love pedal I have, very touch sensitive and is probably one of my favorite dirt pedals, but would that be considered fuzz or overdrive?

Thumbs up from me on the amptweaker though, I'm going to try the bass tightdrive too as soon as they are in stock. I have a bunch of others like the sft, boss odb3, digi bass driver, bass modded bad monkey, dod fx91, vt, unibass, etc etc, but this is favorite for now :)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  6. amptweaker

amptweaker Commercial User

May 8, 2010
    Owner/Engineer: Amptweaker LLC
    Guys,
    Juan Alderete w/Mars Volta came by the booth and checked out the Bass TightFuzz...here's a cool video of him taking it through the motions.

http://youtu.be/IpPGAvd7pU4

thanks,
    James B
    amptweaker.com

Driven Crane likes this.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome clip, James! Juan is the coolest, and he takes his overdriven tones very seriously!

I have to say, hearing that FatRock was one of my Summer NAMM highlights! That pedal just whoops it on bass! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a killer sounding pedal.

Unemploid likes this.
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i agree. that's an awesome sounding pedal.

Unemploid likes this.
  10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Sounds sooooo good. This might be back at the top of my Fuzz GAS list.

11. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'm getting one soon. It's the fuzz I've been looking for. :D:bassist:

Unemploid likes this.
  12. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    This sound amazing!

Hmm..........what can I sell to buy this???

13. amptweaker

May 8, 2010
    Actually, I recorded Juan playing the FatRock too....I know some guys have bought the TightRock for bass, and the things I tweaked on the FatRock to make the Strat guys happy are similar to what I had to do to make the Bass TightDrive version of the TD. Which was extend the low range of the Tone and Tight controls, and knock some high end down a bit.

Here's that video of the FatRock:
    http://youtu.be/hEszjMdoHyw

thanks,
    James B
    amptweaker.com

14. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Hi there,

The Bass Tightfuzz demo with Juan + other demos are indeed impressive. This dry low level is a great idea BTW.

I'm really interested in it but I've seen on official Amptweaker website you developped a "gain boost mod" to get more fuzz. Does it mean fuzz level is too low on standard pedal for many players, or only with a passive bass ? I'm actually playing an active and though I'm not searching for a massive wall of fuzz, I'd like a large range of gain possibilities...

Thanks.

15. amptweaker

May 8, 2010
    I've had very few bass guys request the Gain Boost MOD switch, but it shares the circuit board with the guitar version, so I'm offering it for both. Some of the vintage strat guys were disappointed with the amount of fuzz, and the ones who have bought the MOD are happy now. But I've had a lot of vintage strat guys who love the nuances of the standard model. The MOD is a Boost switch so if you DO get the MOD and don't need it, you can always switch it to Off and have it just in case.

If you have really low output, or if you want a ton of fuzz, then you probably should get the MOD. But I currently have only sold 1 to a bass guy. The one Juan is playing is a regular unmodded one, and he's playing a passive bass as far as I know.

Jpac likes this.
  16. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Thanks for the fast answer James.

That's what I thought, vintage strat are passive single coils so indeed may have much less gain than active bass with humbuckers...
    The Precision/J Juan plays seem to be his own passive bass indeed but his "clean" tone when pedal is not active already has much attack / drive (so has mine).

I'm saving to order one soon and A/B it for comparison to my EHX Bass Big Muff & Tech21 Red Ripper...

17. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson

Dec 23, 2009
    Hill City, SD USA
    Just received mine from Jonathan over at Rogue guitar shop. I will say this for the pedal. The best fuzz ever built. I really think it is a fuzz in name and its hottest levels only. It is really a great overdrive and distortion too. Makes me rethink the rest of the board.

18. Just taken the plunge and ordered one. I was getting a bit obsessed with it. Need to get it out of my system !
    Hope it's as good as some reports !

19. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    By the way, what does "gas" mean?

20. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    ...like the MXR? I love mine, but have been searching for a fuzz pedal that will drive it well (the MXR seems to like mean, jagged fuzz and a strong midrange) and remain articulate and toneful when used solo.

The "dry low" is intriguing. Anyone note any practical differences (advantages/disadvantages) between that and a more typical dry vol/blend (like on the Big Muff Pi Bass Deluxe) in actual use? I'm still pretty new to effects in general, but right now I'm using a Swollen Pickle to drive the MXR and the aforementioned Muff (with the blend around 45% dry) for a "fuzz on its own".