1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMT LLM-2 Little Loud Mouth volume pedal users?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 5, 2015.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a need for a small stompbox-sized volume pedal for use at our practice space. I'll only be using it for level setting, not for swells.

I've seen conflicting reports here and elsewhere about the AMT LLM-2 - some people complain about the taper, some say it's a bass tone suck and still others say it's fine. Can any current users chime in? For reference I play all fivers, both passive (P5s) and active (EBMM, Fender Dimension, Synapse.)

Thanks!

2. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow - Google's bots are busy, less than an hour later this thread showed up in a Google search about the LLM-2!

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nobody?

4. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hiya! I picked up a LLM-2 late last year for my volume-swelling needs. It was horrendous stock - started rolling bottom-end off at around 90Hz from memory. I added a capacitor across the existing HPF cap & it brought it back to usable. I can crack it open & take some pics if you're handy with a soldering iron.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yes, please!

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I can't speak to the volume pedal but I have the dual expression pedal and it seems very well made.

7. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok so I ramped up the capacitance with what I had on hand with the intention of swapping the tantalum out for a bipolar electrolytic but upon listening to it, sounds fine to me. It's a 10µF 35V tantalum with the + terminal furthest from the battery compartment. The MKT capacitor underneath it is 470nF, making the total 10.47µF. The -3dB point is now around 17Hz. Will I ever get around to putting a BP electrolytic in? Yeah probably one day...

DSC02403_zpsa6le99qb.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks! That's a simple mod, too.

9. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah it's a fiddly little sucker. Don't expect the same level of fine control as with a full size volume. For setting a level then leaving it I reckon a Nose type pedal would be better. You could even make a similar thing yourself.

10. Taffronaut

Taffronaut

Apr 19, 2015
    I modded my LLM-2 to change the profile of the sweep. All the volume change on the stock pedal happens in the middle third of the travel. It's an optical pedal and the mod is file/glue/paint :)

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's really cool - thank you! Can you comment on which end of the window is for minimum output? I want mine to still go to zero output.

12. Taffronaut

Taffronaut

Apr 19, 2015
    Hi,

Narrow part of window = min output

Cheers

Bill

HeavyDuty likes this.
  13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Cool - thanks!

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Hey Ba55man would thst mod help me? I have one of these and it distorts on the super low notes. Can't figure it out. All my other pedals soubd fine but when I hammer a note on my low B string with this pedal I get a nasty overdrive. I would like to keep this pedal because of its footprint.

15. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey Red Planet. Hmm sounds like you're clipping an op amp inside the pedal. Are you running it at 9V? Maybe try 12V, or lowering the level going into it (you can boost the output back up with the switch on the side).

If you were having the same problem I had your low B would disappear!

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes I was running 9 volt I will try 12 and see if it goes away. Seems my low B has been a little light in the britches lately wonder if that mod will help? I sure would like to find a solution to this problem.

17. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Worth a shot... for a <$1 capacitor & some soldering fun!

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I asked AMT about the cap mod and they said this indeed would be a good fix for my problem. I pointed them to this thread. Thank you Ba55Man1ac!!!!!

19. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcomes! Let us know how it goes.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So this came in today. Is this the correct unit? And am I to infer the right side is positive?

20160111_210755_zpszpwwlwwn.