Amusing story...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Melf, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Lately my oil's been getting a little low, so I went over to Wal-Mart and bought some more. I was planning on filling it up but before i did, I wanted to make sure I put in the right amount so I pulled out the dipstick, wiped it off, and checked it. What a shock I had! The oil had jumped up from 1/4 to 1 and 1/4! My mouth dropped open and I said "There's no way that can be right, I'll measure it again." Lo and behold, it came up way too full yet again. I started to panic. The last time I'd refilled my oil was 5 months ago. I was thinking I'd done irreparable damage to my engine. But I kept thinking, "There's just no way it can go up that much." So I called one of my buddies who's a car buff and we tried to figure it out together. Then he asked a simple question. "Wait a minute, are you parked on a slope?"

I was.:oops:

I don't think he's ever going to let me live this one down:oops:
  2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    That was great, one of the few times I've actually laughed out loud.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    5 months since you last refilled ? Geez bud, you might want to consider changing it!!!
  5. muhahahahaha, that made me chuckle
  6. LMFAO. Oh man, that is some funny stuff right there. It's always the obvious things that are the problem!
  7. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    originally posted by Tim Cole
    Nahh, I only drive it about once a week. I'm in college and I can walk pretty much everywhere but the food store and the occasional off-campus friend's house.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    lol.... I suppose you then tried and pour the oil down the dipstick tube?. Just so you know, there's a cap that's got 710 written on it. It sometimes says OIL if you're looking at it upsidedown. That's where the oil goes.........
  9. IM useless with cars. Yep but hey i am an electronics tech... not a mechanic.

I tried wiring up a fake alarm thing once. I finished up, shut the door and the light stayed on. *shrugs* no matter, took the bulb out. it was late deal with it tomorrow. I got caught up and went for a drive, i had no interior lights, my indicators didnt work, my wipers didnt work.

Panic. So i ring a mechanic friend. He drives to my house, opens the fuse box and goes 'well duurr you blew a fuse." replaced it.. all is well. I wont touch a thing now.

10. I just read this before school. Your my first laugh of the day. Thanks :)
  11. Several years ago, a work colleague told me a story about his student days. He was from London, and during the summers worked in a nearby petrol station.

One fine summers day, a lady came in and asked to buy some oil. He gave her the selection of types available, and narrowed it down with what was recommened for her car. She bought the oil. As he wasn't busy he offered to help her with it. She scoffed at him as if he had insulted her, told him no thanks and headed back to the forecourt.

Well, he went about his business, serving other customers, and then about 20 mins later when it had went quiet again, noticed her car still on the forecourt with the bonnet (hood?) still up.

He decided he'd go and check on her to make sure that she was alright. When he got there, he found her frustrated under the bonnet, oil absolutely everywhere!!!!! She had removed the dipstick, and had been trying to top her oil up by pouring from a 5 litre can of oil into where the dipstick sits:D :D
  12. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    When I was a teenager my dad's friend was helping me with my car. he suggested we check the oil. I looked at the indicatore on the end of the dip stick and announced "It's half empty! So, should I put in 2 1/2 quarts?" He almost b-slapped me! :(