Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amusing, yet sad

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Listen to this crap:

I told him that before I play with him again, he needs to learn notes and keys.

Him: my friends band is making it really big, and he doesn;t konw keys
    Me: they must be terrible then
    Him: they are awesome
    Him: they are cutting an album now
    Him: they sound like korn

Yes, people like that do exist, why must I be the bassist to play with them.

I either play with @$$hole guitarists that love root note bashing bass or morons that don't know notes or keys. Shoot me

2. amen to that, Lefty :(

BUT! My rig is bigger than theirs, mess with me, you and your guitar will be flatend!:D

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Perhaps it is time for you to explore music that isn't punk. Nothing against what genre of music you like, I just think you're gonna continue to find what is aggravating you. In it's original concept, punk was designed for people who didn't know how to play their instruments. You sleep with dogs and you're gonna get fleas. :D

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Tried doing that, joined a Dixieland Jazz Band, got to play some cool stuff, but I hated the music, and they weren't paying me. I've also been with a jazz band and a rock band. I just couldn't stand playing the music. Basically you'd have to pay me to play anything that isn't punk.

Maybe I should just quit, it's just an endless disapointment.

5. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
  6. :eek:

7. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    That was the most mindless, stupidest comment ive ever read, ever.

8. understanding music and being able to read it are not the same thing. i'm sure the majority of people playing rock music of any kind understand theory but can't read.

9. you're welcome. personally, i learn to read about every six months or so, but i really have no use for it with what i'm doing right now, so i pretty much forget how after a while. but i can still tell you what interval i'm playing, what time sig a certain piece of music is in, how to get a dorian mode, etc.

10. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    AcousticBass, this was the part i meant with my other post. He put that punk(punk rock) was designed for people who did not know how to play their instruments. I disagree totally, saying that it was designed for people who dont know how to play (their)instuments just shows ignorance.
    I guess you can stereotype people that play punk rock and listen to it, people that dont know how to play their instruments. But its wrong, i had to reply to that comment.

11. Of course, they'd have to detune to do that.....;)

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Dixieland Music, I played that once, very interesting music. You'll do a 1/5 or a 1/6 type riff then bust into a walking line and get things moving. The key to true Dixie Land music is each instrument has a part that is completely different than the part written for any of the other instruments.

As far as your dilema with guys not knowing keys, well, the problem is are those guys are just ametuers who think they are musicians. Any self-respecting musician, even if he doesn't know tons of theory, should know what someone means when they say "Let's try this in G". Many times I've shows up for a gig and we've decided to transpose form the orginal key we practiced it in, because maybe our singer could sing it easier.

For me, it was an age thing. I know it's snobbish to say, but the people my age around where I live aren't anygood for the most part. I know it's really concieted to say, espcially since my father is also a bassist and I've had that knowledge readily available, but I also have been around musicians enough then to realize "what it takes". I wouldn't play if I didn't feel like I was a decent bassist. A lot of my friends think because they know a few chords they are musicians. I'm also not saying that young people don't know anything about music, cause I think truly good musicians are good since they are young. I've played with people and I had the same exact problem that you are having.

Me: Play a B barre chord
    Guy with guitar: What's a barre chord?

Me: Let's try this in A
    Guy with guitar: Um okay..........what position would I put my capo in to do that.

I swear to God, I played with a kid who would capo his guitar on like the 12th and 13th frets to play solos. :rolleyes:

My advice, seek out pro level musicians, you might have to check out people a few years older than you. The only time I ever played with people my age was during that time I mentioned above. (and any type of school thing back when I was in HS of course) Any other time, it has been with people at least 7 years older than me. Again, I'm not saying that young people don't know jack about music, but the ones in my area, do fall into that category. I'm thinking, maybe your area is very similar.

p.s. Didn't mean to sound stuck up or unhumble in this thread, but I consider myself a good bassist (I have confidence in my playing, but I'm not stuck on myself about it) and I expect the same from the musicians around me.

13. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    This is also amusing yet sad...haha

14. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hey peanut, I got that info from a VH1 documentary on punk. It's not meant to be a slam, and IIRC it came from Joey Ramone. This was all before you were born, BTW. And punk today is NOT the way it originated and they credit Curt Cobain for the change. And please read the FAQ's and rules for this forum, you can disagree all you want but you should please disagree respectufully.
    Now, do I really need to go rip the magna cum laude sticker off my college degree?
    :p

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's definatley a joke............but if it isn't........well then I'm scarred for the future of bass guitar. :(

16. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    read the kids profile

17. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Posts like that make me wonder sometimes, i like to stay away from them.

MJB, i probably came off disrespectfull towards what you said.:D We disagree on this....and i replyed the wrong way. But also consider where you got the information. Ya, its changed..many have aided the changing. I think its for the better, but alot are gonna disagree.

18. i bet they were GREAT solos, too!

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree with Pea-nut, i was in a punk band, i was the leader, it was some pretty tech stuff for punk, but that was back in the day.... wait,, i cant have a back in the day,, i'm only 18,,,,,,in october.... o well. when i was 15, i was in a punk rock band that was pretty tech. But i have the same problem as you, i can't find any musicians around here that are talented. i mean, i'm no cliff burton, but the people around here are just silly. I found a FANTASTIC drummer, but finding a guitarist that is open minded and doesnt want to shred, or write blurry solo's, is knida hard to do. I'm gonna ask in a diffrent thead, but does any one have good idea's for finding good musicians to be in a band? websites?

20. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Pollybass- im kinda in the same scenerio. Although im 15(16 under 2 weeks). I also found a fantasic drummer. We are best friends, hang out alot. But just recently i met a new friend and didnt realize he played guitar. A year ago this friend was VERY close minded, but ive watched him mature alot and hes changed. We are gonna start a new band. Im gonna play guitar because i really want to and i think i can help alot to the this new band. So right now were looking for a singer/bassist or bassist and a singer. But this lineup could change, i might learn to sing, i might decide to play bass if we dont find one soon. Were just gonna practice as much as possible, and mix all of our different influences and see what happens.