Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amy Winehouse - Frank

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by moley, Dec 31, 2003.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Anyone got/heard any of this?

She's a 19 yr old singer-songwriter from London.

I got it today - it's impressive. Sort of urban soul/Jazz I guess I'd call it, but she's using the sort of chords I've not heard from the pop scene of late. Nice horn sections too.

Worth checking out if you like that kind of thing.

2. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    She was on Jools Holland the other night incidentally, dont know if you saw her? She's pretty cool, and as you say, nice to see some variation in the pop scene.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    She was featured in Jazzwise a couple of months ago. 'Frank' is being re-released in February, apparently. I think we can expect to see a big publicity campaign in 2004 to push her into the "soul" mainstream.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah I saw her, in fact it was after that that I bought the album. I'd heard her on the radio a bit, and her being on Later... tipped the scales.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Good to hear.

She's releasing her second single "Take The Box" on Monday 12th. It's one of the only songs on the album for which she gets the only writing credit, and IMO, the best song on the album.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

She is being interviewed on Radio 5 as I write this!! She has her guitar and is threatening to play some songs!! ;)

I'll tell you what I think in a minute!!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Nah - didn't like it - her voice sounded very "mannered", very artificially "affected" - I found it exceedingly irritating after about 30 seconds - I just wanted to slap her and say - sing one note "straight" - without some kind of affectation!! :mad:

Also - very "girly"-sounding and with an american accent, although she talks estuary english . :meh:

I'll come back to her in 10 years - when she has matured a bit!! ;)

8. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    moley- sorry to go completely off topic here but there is a guy from Hampshire selling a Ken Smith 5 on ebay- you don't know him do you? I realise this might be a really stupid question since I have no idea how big Hampshire is!

Oh I quite like Amy Winehouse.....

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL, as it happens, no I don't know everyone in Hampshire :D

http://www.bugbog.com/maps/europe/british_isles/england_wales_counties_map.html

Hampshire is down the bottom there

10. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Definately too far away!

11. Bruce Lindfield

I saw here on the Brits nominations show which was on ITV2 last night as well - didn't like her at all - very mannered and my girfriend was going " that is the worst singing I have ever heard - turn it off!!" ;)

If you want UK female Jazz singers, I would recommend Clare Martin,Tina May, Liane Carrol , Norma Winstone etc..

12. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Moley,
    Bought it straight after seeing her on Jools Holland.
    I think she's great,nice voice,good guitarist too.
    :bassist:

13. Bruce Lindfield

I should say that I haven't heard the album - I'm just going on the live perfromances I saw/heard this week (Radio 5, ITV2) ..which were pretty dire!! ;)

14. there was an intriguing clip on Radio6music of her talking about putting on an American accent-
    "cos' all mah favourite singahs are american- like Ellaah".

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I agree.

I haven't heard the performances Bruce is talking about, but she was good on Later, and the album is good.

16. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    thread resurrection: yay!!!

i don't know if you all've heard Back to Black yet (you probably have), but it's quite good! the production's fantastic, the songwriting's good, and there are some very cool and groovy basslines on there.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well that was 3-4 years ago and she has matured a bit - I saw some good performances at Glastonbury and others on TV this summer - she has a good band, seemed to be led by Frank Tontoh - great drummer! :)

I still think she can't sing a note with bending or altering it - but her technique is effortless - I am worried though, that she seems to be constantly drunk or out of her head - may not last long...rehab...?:meh:

I approve of the way she incorporates Jazz and old "real" R&B , as well as first wave Jamaican Ska!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got a boot of a recent show, and she does a killer version of the Specials' "Monkey Man." As for her drinking and partying, on "Frank" she sounds kind of light compared to now with her edgy smoky tone so I approve of her partying.