Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An $1500 question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So, i'm still looking for a good LEFTY 5 or rather 6-string. The Warwick Rockbass Corvette Special Edition 5 I ordered from the local dealer is still not coming - yet I ordered it in the first week of January. The reason is that they ship in "sixpacks" :D and they dont want to order so many as they dont sell so strong here. Another problem is that in Hungary, there are not many high-end dealers... well there are hardly any dealers: there are Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Samick, BC Rich and I think even Musicman somewhere, but not much else and scarcely any LH or used LH. Importing a used one is a bit tough: shipping prices are high and there's a 25% import tax in the least - if not 30%! :bawl: So I will probably go to Vienna and buy a bass there. I dont think I will have much time as I will only be staying for a day, so I will be in a rush to try them - thats why I am writing: name a few I should try, pleez!

Heres what I'm looking for:
    - nice, clear highs (like maple)
    - clear and growly deeps
    - yeah, and some midrange would be nice, too:)
    - enough electronics to make it versatile - but as electronics can be upgraded, it's not as important as the wood
    - price should be under $1500 as it took half a year to get this money together - and I can hardly spend any more
    - and oh yes, im a bit picky at shapes and colours - it should be comfortable and well-balanced (I like long upper horns)

Feel free to write, even if I wont be online for some time as I will have some tests next week - sorry about that

Help is very welcome.
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, I'm only going there in about a month so you can take your time... :rolleyes:

As I said, help is welcome and if anyone wants to reply, thanks!

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    don't know the price difference over there.. but if you can find a Musicman Stingray 5 I think you would like that. I used to own one and I loved it. Also a peavey Cirrus, its just an all around great bass, you wouldn't be dissapointed with one of those at all. A Fender jazz bass perhaps would do just as nicely also..

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks, Idiezman! If I remember right, you are the first one to reply to any of my posts... :)

Well, Musicmans are not really my cup of tea - I would like versatile basses and a nice tone range - and I prefer fingerstyle.
    Peaveys I will try a few, but there are not many 6-es in Europe...
    Fenders are even here available, but at what price! :eek: :mad:
    But that aforementioned Corvette SE 5 is still stuck in my head - it looks very nice and has alder/flame maple top - too bad I cant get it in lefty... yet...

Anyway, thanks! :)

5. You night check out Carvin.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi, I'm back!

As I see I have one more reply, thanks!

The only problem with that is I dont think they are available in Europe...

However, I checked some addresses I could get and was disappointed to find there are no Musicman basses and the Peavey dealer only sells amps and cabs... :( :mad: so I couldn't try any here, I will really have to go abroad for one.

7. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Look at Ebay for the bass you want. Ask the seller if they will ship your package United States Postal Service and don't get insurance for the item. It will cost approx $100 to ship and it will arrive in 10 days. I just shipped a StingRay to Germany this way and it worked out fine. The no insurance was recommended to me by the buyer to prevent having to pay the import fee. Hopefully that helps some.

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm :meh:
    well if nothing works, that might be my last straw to hang on... just that >25% VAT still...

Anyway, thanks!

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Warwick Thumb Bolt-on - the bass next on my list.

They are really nice basses with good highs, deep lows and growling mids that'll cut through any mix. They look, feel and sound bit original though so they are not for everyone.

Thomann.de has them for €1500 for a 5-string, and as Warwick is German company they should be multiple in Hungary too - probably the most numerous European bass there.

You could also try Warwick Corvette Standard which are around €1200 for the 5-string bubinga/all-active model, less for ash/passive-pup version.

For bit more traditional designs there's Esh basses which should be very nice also. A 5-string active Jazz copy of theirs would sell around €1200.

Websites at www.warwickbass.com and www.esh-basses.com .

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm back!
    thanks for the reply, Tsal, sorry I wasnt online for long...
    Well I wold really like a Corvette Proline 6 in ocean blue, but thats $2200... and Warwicks are available here, as i said in the first post, the only problem is that they are more expensive than the US retail price. If i get one abroad, i will have to pay VAT - unless i smuggle it in :eek: :D :p yeah me the smuggler criminal :D

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sorry, thought you guys were EU members :meh:

As you are not, I see two options - either buy a bass abroad and accept the VAT, or try to haggle the price down in local store.

Stores here in Finland - where price level is about the same than in Hungary! - are willing to lower the price with 15-20% from the price on the tag if you bid hard enough.

BTW, I'm sure that if you would take a trip to neighbour EU country with a car, the border guards wouldn't inspect your car for illegal basses on your way back.. ;)

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So once again Im back!

Sorry i didnt check back earlier, but I was looking into a used Warwick Streamer Stage I 4 on ebay - but as i didnt already have a credit card, i couldnt buy it. :bawl:

I am now considering a Warwick Corvette Standard 6, but the dealer wont go a single cent lower and that makes it about $300 away! :mad: theres only the 25% tax separating me from it and if i knew someone here who had a company that is related to music and i couldget them to buy it in their name for me, i could get it and they could get tax refunds...:(

Oh yes, the customs officers. Once I went with my family to Croatia and i had my bass with me - they didnt care about it then, so abroad seems to be the best option... well, you know the saying:
    "DONT LIE, DONT BRIBE, DONT CHEAT, DONT STEAL- POLITICIANS DONT LIKE RIVALS..." :D - but maybe this time they'll have...;)

Uhm spelling

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I recently found out that there are far more basses available here than I thought - but...

I could get a MM. US list price: about 1200-1300 $.
    Here: the cheapest (lefty is extra) is $2200 +you have to buy its case, a mere $250! :eek: :mad:

Fender about the same as Peavey: prices here are 1,5x-1,7x-2x US list price :mad:

But I can get a Warwick - in fact, as far as I know (i should've written AFAIK - well too late) so it looks like they are the only ones that are cheaper here than the US list price... so then, guess how I decided!:)

It looks like I can get the Corvette Standard 6 for a bit more than $1650 :D yet I still need 200 while I'm running out of work...

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Hmm well, the warwick is a good bass, and if you liek it, go for it. I was gonna suggest a Czech made Spector based on your description (clear high's, big growly lows, good mids, wide tone variety, comfortable and well balanced). The Czech's retail for around your price range here, but they might be a good deal there sicne they are made in Europe and don't have to be shipped overseas.

15. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Mutant,

You really need to checkout Carvin. I would suggest a maple neck and walnut body sides if you want those bright highs and a good growl.

Get this: Carvin does not charge any additional $$ for a lefty model.

You could get a really nice LB75 or LB76 in a lefty model with the specs you want and a nice P series electronics upgrade for WELL under $1500, and it would be custom built with the woods and electronics you choose.

They also have a 10 day no questions asked return policy and a 5 year warranty.

And they're made in the USA.

Seriously.

:^)~

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks for the replies, guys! However, my mind looks set on the Corvette - as I was already trying to get a Rockbass Corvette SE 5, but I just couldnt get it.

I saw some Spectors - but didnt quite like that upper horn shape. They have decent price but I think a Corvette is better made

Carvins, too Ive already seen - but... like as above. And add shipping, insurance, 25% tax, and you are nearing the Corvette's price
    Warwick makes lefty at no cost, too.
    and getting a bass for ~$1650 instead of $2000 here where everything is more expensive than the US list price, thats a nice deal

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Benavente Vortex will come in that range ;)

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, sure... just forgot to put a 2x behind or in front of the $1500... :D

Anyway, I ordered the 'wick 'vette 'ndard 'ix today and i can bareky wait - whereas I have to: it will take at least two weeks to ship, i suppose, and i will have to make some more money till then.:(

sorry i check back rarely, but i have limited net access... sorry.
    Anyway, thanks guys for your thoughts and ideas! :)

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Actually a basic colored Benavente Vortex or Vintage Vortex 5 string with Benavente preamp starts at $1550. Granted they can climb quickly depending on options.