Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An $81 URB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mchildree, May 26, 2003.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The case + a bass costs $620.00:
    Bass+Case

But the case costs $539.00:
    Case Only

So the bass is worth $81.00? I'm liking the looks of that case, though. Anybody use one?

2. Since the ad says the bass is made in the same factory as the Cremona brand, I think $81.00 sounds a little high.;)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would think you could that buy that package and then stick the bass in the paper locally and get a few hundred bucks for it without doing anything.

If you were thinking of buying a case like that anyway, You could even keep the bass around as a coffee table, paddle it across the lake or ride it down the hill come the first snowfall.

You may even get lucky and sell the bass for enough to cover the bulk of the cost of the case.

Note the shipping was $150, so that runs up the bill a bit.

Personally, I like my Kases bag (all hail Bob G.) It is very well padded and much easier to stow than a hard case would be. If I had something like that, I would have to leave it in the garage or basement all the time.

Chas

4. Well, yes and no. Shipping is FREE, at least it is on one or the other.

You're shipping by the cubic inch on a bass, OR on the case, either one.

A cello weighs about 56 pounds, in "dimensional weight".

I nearly bought a semi-hard case from Kolstein, but shipping was going to be $150, and if you got the bass without the case, shipping would be about $150.

So if you figure that you're paying $150 shipping on the bass, then they're putting a case around it for nothing, or vice-versa.

And yeah, Bob, the description says "Some of the other brands produced by this workshop include the Cremona, a very established brand in the USA"

Of course, he doesn't say "very respected"... only "very established".

This must be the same guy I came across a couple of weeks ago who amazed me by actually admitting it, as though it were a GOOD thing!

At least he's up-front about it. ;)

Wonders never cease!