An Acoustic Electric Bass, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cparky, Mar 22, 2004.

1. cparky

Mar 22, 2004
    I want to get a 4 string acoustic-electric bass but I have no idea what I'm looking for. I know I want quality, but if ne one has ne suggestions on the brand I should be looking into, or ne thing that could help in this decision let me know!
  2. cparky

Mar 22, 2004
    well, thank you to all of those who have looked at this thread and decided not to help me out... Just in case you were wondering though, I have found a few basses in my price range that I like. Check em out if you'd like, if not just sit there and read my message like you have already....:)
    The first link shows you a Michael Kelly Firefly...

The second shows you a Michael Kelly ST AB 4...
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well bud, the reason you got no responses is probably due to posting it in the wrong forum. I'll go ahead and move it to basses for you, not sure how I missed this the first time. PS., I have heard good reportys on the MK's.

4. cparky

Mar 22, 2004
    Thank you for the heads up Tim, I'll try to be more aware of that next time, I appreciate your help.
  5. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    SO this is the proper place?
    Anyway, I had posted on the usenet about acoustic bass guitars and a guy responded just raving about the Kelley he bought on a whim. Unfortunately, his reply came after i had bought one, a Jasmine (by Takamine), which i would be happy with if it didn't break in transit (I think I'm getting it back this weekend).
    Anyway, i found his post (i think he spells Kelly wrong):

"byrdsfan," I'll give you the benefit of something I discovered quite by

If you can possibly find a "Michael Kelley" Acoustic Bass on EBay--and the
    manufacturer of these instruments puts "seconds" up for sale there on a
    continuing basis--then take it from me: BUY IT!!!!

On a whim I bought a blond/natural finish 5-string acoustic bass about three
    months ago that way, and it is one of the nicest acoustic basses I have ever
    heard or played. It is NICE, man!

The acoustics, the electronics (Fishman active), the finish, the frills,
    everything is FIRST RATE.on this instrument. It is just fabulous! They are
    made in Korea to the manufacturer's specs, and include mother-of-pearl and
    abalone inlays, come in a variety of interesting colors, etc.

I bought mine for about $330 bucks as I recall (plus shipping). It came
    direct from the manufacturer, Mail Box Music, Inc., which is out of
    Clearwater, Florida. The company seems to be very stable.

I ordered a case for the bass separately. They are custom-made cases that
    fit the bass like a glove, and are well-made. Mine cost about $70
    additionally, as I recall.

Anyway, I just flat-out LOVE that bass. I have had MANY compliments on it,
    both for its looks and the way it sounds.

I have been playing bass for many years, and I have never been happier with
    any instrument than I am with this one!
    A Nengineer (
  6. After trying many acoustic bass guitars...I went with an Ibanez AEB-10. I picked up a blem for $250 at the local GC. I like it because it is loud unplugged and the black looks great. All in all, it is the best acoustic bass guitar that I have played for less than $700 bucks.

As it turns out, playing an acoustic has made me appreciate my electric bass more than ever. There is just something eminently relaxing about playing an indestructable P-bass... less string pressure, more sustain, slimmer profile.

I'll probably end up selling my acoustic electric on ebay, because I don't play it all that much.

7. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I got it because we were talking about acoustic gigs but have since added a drummer. I know an electric bass sounds fine with acoustic guitars but the ABG looks cooler in that context. But like i said it's been in the shop.
    you know what i play through when i jam with my Martin wielding buddy? My itsy-bitsy 9-volt Marshall guitar amp! And it sounds good!
  8. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I actually bought up an Alvarez RB30C accoustic bass guitar for a little under $600. The shop I got it from only had about 5 different basses. This was the second most expensive, yet still under $1k and had sound only second to the one that cost $2k. They had some Ibanez there, but the sound quality was so much better on the Alvarez even my mother could tell the difference.

It's the bass that I play the most. I practice on it all the time and I write %90 of my songs on it.

I have a very important suggestion. When buying an accoustic bass, don't be tempted to buy a slimmer model with a non-wooden back. It may make the body slim, but atleast in my opinion, it totally destroys the sound.
  9. SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    I bought an Olympia ABG a few months ago (on ebay) to start out on, and I like it a lot. It's the cheaper Korean cousin of the Tacoma Thunderchief. I like the Olympia because it's big and it has volume, unlike some I tried. If you search for ABG or acoustic, you'll find a lot of opinions (especially the Tacomas). I've heard good things about the MKs, but never played one. I've heard a few bad things (here on TB), too. Most notable the fretless models have the side dots in the wrong place. Also, Sunlite makes a nice ABG, but they are hard to find.

Olympia ~$500
    Tacoma ~$1000

BTW, if you get an Olympia, you'll have to get a Tacoma case.
  10. I've played a Sunlite. There is a local shop here that had a few on display. Asking $300 new. Sounded nice & if I didn't already have a semi-hollow Spector with a piezo, I'd go for it.
  11. I have a Washburn AB20. It's not bad but i can't set the action lower. The neck is straight but the bridge is a bit high. I suppose most accoustic bass would be like that.
  12. I have a 5 string fretless Michael Kelly that I'm thinking of selling, if your interested, pm me.
  13. cparky

Mar 22, 2004
    To all who were giving me some tips, I got my accoustic bass on Saturday... I bought it at guitar center San Jose, it was a kinda last resort thing, but it was still a good find. I love it, it sounds great, both plugged in and unplugged. It cost me a total of around $780 including a nice hardshell case, a strap and a new set of slinkys to go along with it... Critique if you like, but it is a fender. Yes that's right a fender. I couldn't find an MK... and this is the best one I could find in my area for my price range, so it's not too bad, plus it will last me a long time, and it'll be worth it because I'll get all the use out of it that I can. So once again, thank you all for your help in my purchase. I appreciate this community!!! :p
  14. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Just a suggestion to all you ABG owners - buy a set of Thomastik Acousticore strings. They're a huge improvement over standard ABG strings, IMO. They were actually designed for the Turner/Renaissance 'Ampli-coustic' basses, but they feel and sound great on regular ABG's.
  15. Are they flat or round or both?
    Hows the tension?
    I need a light B string with tension (about a 110 or 115). I have an El Capitain and the B string is buzzing bad. Below the 5th fret, which defeats the purpose of the B string altogether. It came with round wounds and I'm gonna switch to flats, but I'm very curious about the Thomastik strings, I heard things....
  16. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    They're round, but with a nylon core. Not sure about the tension, as I had them on an ABG with 32" scale, so they wouldn't have the same tension as a standard scale. They seemed comparable, tension-wise, to the bronze strings that were on it. The real difference was in sound. They totally alleviated the 'scratchiness' or 'harshness' in the high end that I associate with piezo's, and they had WAY more low end than bronze.