Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

an active 5 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thephilosopher, Feb 11, 2006.

1. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    with a tight low B.

recommendations? an SR5 seems like the best choice, but also the most pricy.

go!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    SR5 or Bongo...

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Bongos are always discounted @ Guitar Centers. Some of us here have snagged them for as low as $699. While there maybe a bit of discussion about the looks, there is no argument about the sound.

The owner of Ernie Ball has a video of him rocking a Bongo with killer tone @ the Ernie Ball Forum.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The KSD 5 string is reasonable and sounds good. There is also the Ibanez model with the funk shape made with the Luthite (I think I misspeled it) body. Great sounding instrument with piezos and a low B. I've seen these around for as low as 500 brand new.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. I got my Bongo 5HH cheap last weekend there, and it has an AMAZING tone -- one of the best active bass sounds I've heard, and a nice compliment to my other basses. The low B is thunderous and has a nice tight feel all the way up the fretboard. The 4-band EQ offers a lot of flexibility, too, though I love just running it nearly flat most of the time. They're really easy to find to try out, so you could see if it's "your cup of tea" or not.

Heck, now I've got GAS for a single H Bongo. :(

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Lakland 55-01

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As well you should... :p

Attached Files:

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Ooof. Don't do that to me, Ken.

OTOH, I guess it's just payback for giving you GAS about the Tacoma 5er. Hope you're still digging that, BTW. :D

I thought I'd play my Tacoma for a few minutes last night. An hour later I was having a tough time putting it down.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You *are* kidding, right? I'm in heaven! And, you're right - payback is a mo...

I know what you mean. I always used to be that way with my four, but played it less and less after I got the SR5 and Bongo 5H because it was a four. Now I have that feeling again!

10. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'm lovin my new The Bass Company 5string.

11. Just thought I would let you know $1300-$1400 is def not the most expensive bass you can buy.

Actually, in my opinion, $1300-$1400 for a Ray, Bongo, or G&l L-2500 is worth every penny.

Or....

Go used.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Single H bongo or SR5