An Adventure in History

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. I work at a very old hospital complex. It’s one of the first hospital complexes built for Civil War Veterans. Several of the buildings in the old complex were built in the late 1800’s. This past weekend we had to inventory the whole hospital campus for computers, printers, miscellaneous equipment, etc. I got to do one of the old buildings. Here is part of the description:
    My partner and I inventoried the offices in the building, and then went to the basement. Usually, the engineering people will have accountable equipment locked up in inaccessible rooms, so we went into the “sub-basement” to find stuff they might have stashed away. When we opened the door we were greeted by the brick archways that supported the building and the creepy pipes and everything old down there. There was also a door- which we figured to be a closet- but it was a tunnel!! We went down the tunnel which was about 7ft tall and 5 ft across, it was cement, but there were tunnels that led to other buildings that were the original brick. There was a steam outlet valve that would occasionally go off, and it was loud, especially in the enclosed area like we were in! When we got to the end (about 200m) there was a doorway straight ahead and one to the right. When we went straight, there were 2 fluorescent lights and then black… as we walked further down we could see why the lights weren’t working, green slime was covering the ceiling and the walls, all over the light fixtures. We only had a small pen light and it was really hard to see, but we had ended up in the sub-basement of one of the “newer” buildings, built in 1933-34. It was creepy and nasty. When we turned around we could see fine, because we were heading into the light, and we realized we had been walking in a nasty (but not deep) puddle of slime water.
    We came back and took the other tunnel. After a short distance there was a steel staircase that led into the old powerhouse. Back in the day, the hospital complex was entirely separate from the city, it actually was it’s own city. They generated their own power and steam for the campus with a big coal fired furnace. We went into the room where the electricity generator was. It must have been 15 or so feet tall, only half of it exposed above ground. There was also a huge wall of massive switches used to control the electricity. All the old gauges and everything were still there. There wasn’t too much else- it’s used for sand and salt storage for winter.
    It was a very interesting adventure.
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That sounds pretty cool! I be you could find more if you took the time.
  3. Did you meet Morpheus down there?

Naw, that sounds very cool. Any cool old materials? Like Civil War guns or amputated arms, anything like that?

Rock on