1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An adventure to Guitar Center....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yell03SpecV, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Well, a friend of mine needed some guitar stuff, so we went p to Guitar Center. As usual, I went off on my own, and started playing around like normal. This particular GC is blowing out everything because they are moving, so I had a great chance to play a lot of different basses and gather some impressions on them, because I had 90 minutes of tinkering to my name.

1. First up was a Bongo 5. IMO, they are ugly as sin. But, I decided to have a go. Dear God. Purely awesome, possibly the most flexible instrument I have ever played. Great slap and fingerstyle tones, simple EQ, and the best part -- MARKED at $849, they were willing to go as low as $600. Left my wallet at home, so good move for Mr. Paycheck.

2. Pedulla Rapture. Was loaded with Bart Js (not sure if that's an OE affair or not, but whatev) and running a J-retro. Awesome cherry sunburst and tort PG, birdseye neck and FB, 19mm spacing. Felt great, sonded great. No complaints, although a little warm sounding for my tastes.

3. Warwick Double Buck 5. Never been a fan of Warwicks, and this little jem was the same. The neck was awfully sticky (floor model, I know) and the frets were simply too tall. A bit lighter than some of the other Wicks I've tried, but still -- no dice. Sounded pretty good, but I couldn't get past the feel.

4. EBMM Stingray 5. Dead batteries, only 5er on the floor. Damn you, GC.

5. Yamaha TRB-1005. I am sure this will be my next fingerstyle 5. It didn't cost a million bucks, but to my ears and hands -- bliss. Amazing build quality, great sound, perfect feel. Absolutely nothing bad to say about this bass, except I will be out 600 bucks tomorrow morning.

6. Conklin BD 7-string. Never played anything over 5 before, but I was pleasantly surprised with this animal. Can't really give any baseline comparison, but it was pretty cool. No need for an extended range at the moment, though.

7. Tobias Toby. My ears hate me now. Take this as a grain of salt, but this was the most awful bass I have ever played. A used Ibanez SR305 sounded and felt better. I just had to shake my head at that one.

8. Fender MIA Jazz 5. When did Fender start using rubberbands for B strings?

9. Fender GL Jazz. Solid. I really dig this bass, and I mean DIG it. Cool looking, cool sounding, good feel. Definitely outdoes its price tag.

Overall, I'm tired and bored, and posting my GAS rant for you all to read.

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Guitar Center had Pedullas? Was it used? I've never seen anything nicer then a Warwick at mine. It's just Fender, Ibanez, Ibanez, a few Yammahas, Warwicks, some Ernie Balls, and OLPs. And some more Ibanez. Really crappy selection in Cleveland.

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    GC is an authorized Pedulla dealer. I've special ordered two (and may be ordering a third :hyper: ) from my local store. They usually have one or two on the floor, but they are always in typical GC "floor model " condition. :meh:

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I was on GC's web site the other day. I tried to purchase the 56 Gibson EB1 they were offering. I filled out the form and expected a call later in the day or the next morning. NOTHING for five days! It is still on the site, but I got tired of waiting so I found another EB1 in Nashville. I mentioned this to a saleman at my local GC. He just shook his head. They are a great place for strings, but if you want a real instrument you'll have to shop elsewhere.

G

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The GC in Rockville MD carries Pedulla, and usually have at least one Thunderbass and a Rapture. The last time I was there, they had a thunderbass with 1/2" action :eek:

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

That kind of reminds me of the Thunderbass at my local GC. It has 2 1/2" wide frets on the 1 7/8" wide (at the nut) neck!

Hello, GC? Ever hear of a humidifier?

:rollno:

7. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    This may sound silly, but the big advantage to GC, is they don't know what there doing.

I've got great deals at GC, simply because the mis-priced items, or made wrong accessments on price.

1- 1977 percision- custom CAR finish.
    maple fingerboard, all orig. with covers and case.
    they priced it a $879.00
    this was last year.
    2- Jaco Custom Shop Relic bass list $3999.00 New
    G C tag it at $ 1699.00.
    3- Three years ago, I bought a 1957 ressiue percision.
    New they listed it a $789.00 when I brought it.
    They said it was mis-marked, but would sell it at marked
    price.
    I payed with my credit card.
    The tranaction never went threw, I never got billed on my card.
    I called GC, two months later, to tell them I never got
    charged.
    They said I was mistaken, and not to worry about it.
    I love GC.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

9. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    On recent trip to GC, I tried a Warwick $$, which I was very impressed with. Of course, I like big, baseball bat necks. I find them very comfortable. I also got to try out a Modulus Flea signature, which was fantastic, in my opinion.

Other basses I tried that I liked:

1. Warwick Corvette Passive
    2. Fender Jazz 24
    3. Spector Euro 5
    4. Musicman Stringray 4
    5. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz signature
    6. Used Fender US Deluxe Jazz 4

There are a few more, but I can't remember all of them at the moment.

Bo

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    SpecV- which GC was it? The one in Chicago or the one in Arlington Heights? Do you know how long they'll be doing their sale stuff?

11. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior Supporting Member

I hope you are saying you would be out $600 because you are buying the Bongo instead of this!!! I actually played a Bongo 4HH the other day and was blown away!!! I mean, I'm not going to get rid of my Warrior for it, but it was one of the most versatile basses I have played. It was the Nissan Burnt Orange color, and the shop had some of the turquoise DR's on it, and it was so ugly, it was actually appealing.

12. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm halfway between the one in Country Club Hills and the one in Burbank. This is the one in Burbank, 83rd and Cicero. Either one is about a 15-20 minute drive for me.

Edit: I don't know how much longer the stuff will be blown out for; everything was marked "BY SEPTEMBER 23RD", but clearly, being October 1st, I would say you might have a few more days to jump on it.

13. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    As awesome as the Bongo sounded, I couldn't do it. They are just too damn ugly. On the other side of the coin, the Yamaha felt and played better (IMO, of course). Plus, it isn't terrible to look at.

14. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I went to the local GC yesterday and saw a stack of those Crate Powerblock guitar amps on sale for $99! Did some research and apparently these are acceptable for bass use so I'm going back to pick one up. For $100 can't go wrong.

15. hiimjohn

hiimjohn

Sep 19, 2006
    haha yeah i live like a coulple miles away from that gc in chicago (the burbank one)

I got a used eden 410xlt for like, 650
    not too bad in my opinion

16. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    When? They had one on Saturday for 750 (marked).

17. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Which Guitar Center is moving and do you remember how much for the Conklin 7?

18. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    The one in Burbank.

P.S. The Country Club Hills Store still rocks.

19. I have always wanted to play a GT-7.

lowsound

20. EunosFD

EunosFD

Jun 7, 2006
    MD
    I rarely if ever find instruments there in reasonably playable condition (set-up wise anyway). It's rather frustrating to pick up a $2300 guitar (or bass) only to be greeted by every setup annoyance possible. I much prefer to make the longer trip down to Chuck Levin's (I'm from the Hagerstown area fwiw).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021