An Affordable Alternative to the Millennia STT-1???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    am i asking for too much, cause the STT-1 on Bass Tasters sound amazing, but holy crap, they're expensive.

does the TD-1 achieve a similar tonality? anything else y'all might recommend in hifi land that would put me in the same ballpark? or am i asking for the impossible dream?
  2. Avalon U5??? I really DIG mine. I do agree that the Millennia sounds awesome, but the Avalon is far surpassing my expectations, it's much warmer than I expected, and it's super punchy. Are you going be using it for your gigging rig or for your studio?
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just did some checking around and it looks like the street price on these is $2600. So used should be $1300?? :D

Didn't BP do some kind of review on the TD-1 awhile back? I recall reading something...somewhere :confused:
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Australian retail price = $4999Aus :eek:
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I recently got to hear my bass and my cab with a TD-1. Everyone in the room was floored with the comparison to my Glockenklang. Actually, it was the first time that I heard my bass the way that I hear it in my head. I'm not kidding. So, the TD-1 is my next purchase. Don't discredit it's small sized. It's a tone monstor. Imagine your studio sound live and that's what you'll get.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool EJ,

btw, has anyone tried putting it in a rack?
  7. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I just want you to know that it was mean to point out the STT-1 on Basstasters. Now I have serious GAS. And expensive GAS at that.

Keep em coming

8. Quintheskimo

Quintheskimo Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The TD-1 is, in my opinion, the best thing I've ever pluged my bass into! (geeze, I hope that came out right) :meh:

I, too, covet the STT-1, however, because of its compressor. The unit will be utilized, additionally, for vocals, voice-overs, and miking acoustic instuments, and it is one of the best (or should I say "favorite") I've heard.

I have many years of experience with Avalon gear, and can understand the fondness many have for some of their unit., To my ears, however, I much prefer the Millenia gear, and think the TD-1 is worth the extra money.

If compression is not an issue (and I have yet to find a way to rack it), I'm sure one would be as thrilled with the TD-1 as I was. The output options and re-amp (which can be configured to emulate different BASS pickups, not just guitar) make it an extraordinarily worthwhile investment.

The drawback to the unit live is when switching anything on the unit (ie tube/SS path, EQ in/out, impedance), the sound momentarily drops out.

I hope this helps.
  9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Millennia does give instructions on mounting two TD-1 together in a rack for those who may be interested in running a stereo pair :smug:
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and GAS has triumphed over me again...

goin' to pick up a TD-1 later this week. prepare for another massive Jokertastic review in the coming weeks. :p

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...oooofff! You're a sick boy! How are ya makin' out with the Demeter pwr amp?

PS: I think I'm gonna kidnap ya & your gear than take you to tombowlus' house & lock ourselves in his basement for complete mayhem!
  12. What it the price on the TD-1?
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

That sounds like fun! If you can somehow make the wife and kids disappear for weekend, then I'm all for it! :bassist:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...oh ohh! Mapquest here I come! Ya listening J...

PS: I have a BIG Dodge pick-up = lots of gear...
  15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    They list for around $1675 but I believe there is a price increase effective after this month.
  16. Quintheskimo

Quintheskimo Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    consider the telefunken nos tube upgrade, and, if you plan to use it for recording, customizing the re-amp configuration; the stock TD-1's are configured for single coil and humbucker guitar pickups, but "P" "jazz" and "mm humbucker" config. specs are available. This might save you from any downtime.

I have been GAS'ing to run mine through a Demeter tube amp!

p.s. Tom & Devilman, I'll send the wife and kids to Disneyland if I can come and play... :D
  17. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I own both an STT-1 and a TD-1! I have used my TD-1 as a pre-amp on gigs where I did didn't want to take my big rack,and it worked great!! The STT-1 is the ultimate,but the TD-1 still smokes everything else on the market.

18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i'm actually getting one with a Mullard tube upgrage. :cool:

but never heard of the "bass" configs. i'll look into that.
  19. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Tha Avalon U5 is a nice alternative. I may be selling mine soon...

Believe it or not, am likeing my SansAmp BDDI these days!
  20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    When you compare the Avalon U5 and Millenia clips on basstasters, the difference is astounding.

In discussing this with a good friend of mine with golden ears (an engineer, not a bass player) he said I should not buy anything before hearing an Evil Twin.

For the price of the Millennia, I'd probably be tempted to look at a vintage Neve instead ...