Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An afternoon at the Skjold shop!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just spent nearly the entire afternoon with Pete Skjold at his shop here in Texas.
    What a great guy and what an incredible product he is putting out!
    He spent nearly three hours with me talking about his basses, showing me the shop, his stockpile of amazing woods, his construction techniques, his finishing process, etc. Then we fired up a few of the lovelies through his new prototype pre-amp (to die for) and through a variety of Schroeder cabs.
    First things first - Basses
    I played two exotic custom six string basses, fretted and fretless that were superb. I also played a five and Pete's favorite; a one piece Korina body, passive four string with his C4 pick-up. The big "whale back" sixers were fantastic. One utilized EMG pups and pre and the fretless utilized Pete's pick-up and his custom East pre-amp. Pete's pups and pre are clearly head and shoulders above the EMG system. Very full, clear, very punchy and totally flexible. You can get just about any tone you want out of them, passive or active. Fantastically built basses, BEAUTIFUL woods and finishes too. UNBELIEVABLE woods. His basses are truly THAT good. The inventory of incredible body and top woods that he has on hand is really impressive. It's a small shop but for it's size he's got the goods!
    Next - Schroeder cabs.
    I've read every, yes every post on TB about these cabs and have been patiently waiting to try them out. I played through a 1210 and a 21012 seperately. NOW I GET WHY EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THESE CABS. The 21012 was super powerful, breathtakingly loud and low and yet very clean and clear. Yes, there is definitely a low mid presence in these cabs but it's the kind that vibrates your pelvis and makes you feel all "funny down there"! Wow! Then the 1210. Not quite as powerful as its big brother but it is a wicked loud little cab with plenty of grunt! You will be heard using these cabs! Nice warm tone, great dispersion, not too polite, still clear, great cross-over and smooth tweeter. As I said, now I get it! They just made the list.
    Pete is a super nice guy that totally loves what he does and loves talking about it and sharing it with other players. I'm totally envious of his job. I know it's been said before but, Pete is a SMOKIN' PLAYER! That guy picked up a couple of his basses to demonstrate the pups and was belting out some brain smakin' slap lines and finger grooves. MONSTER CHOPS!
    All in all a great day at the shop. I think I picked out the tops to my next two basses and my next couple of cabs and as soon as the family CFO gives approval, I hope to put in an order!
    Just thought I'd share. Sorry but I didn't take the camera!

2. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey Matt ,

Thank you very much for the kind words and thank you for making the time to stop by . It was great meeting you and getting a chance to show you what I do .

Take care ,

Pete Skjold

3. Matt,
    I did not know you live in D/FW. Did you just move, or was that someone else? We should hook up and look at Roscoes!

Do you have any pics of your visit to Pete's shop? Pete's basses have really risen to exquisit caliber. I would definitely put his basses on the short list to consider! :bassist:

4. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I moved to Dallas about two months ago. I didn't take the camera to Pete's shop and I'm kicking myself.
    Anytime you want a little Roscoe on Roscoe action, drop me a PM. Thanks!
    Matt

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sorry I missed your visit Matt. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and appear to be joining the ever growing Skjold Players group :)

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm glad you were able to hook up with Pete. Man, if I lived in the DFW area, I know I'd be over at his shop way too much! Talk about a kid in a candy shop. :D

Of course, in addition to being a gifted luthier and phenomenal bass player, Pete's just a fun guy to hang out with, too. I'll be in Austin later this week, but unfortunately, I won't have time to make the drive up to DFW (doing the family thing).

I am anxiously awaiting my second Skjold (4-string) and just talking with Pete now about my third Skjold (fretless)! :hyper:

Tom.

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Spring can't come soon enough... I'm leaning more and more toward having Pete build one for me when the time comes. The only thing left to do would be to get my actual hands on one for first hand GAS confirmation. I might have to make some arrangements and roll on up to Pete's shop... :ninja:

8. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Haven't laughed that hard since I don't know when.

You must learn the ways of stealth, brother..... :bag:

unless, of course, you display your basses in the living room.

9. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio

He needs to take some lessons from Tom Bowlus , Make sure the ENTIRE room is full of gear . That way she can't keep track of what comes and goes ! LOL :D

Sheer volume of gear !!!!

Pete

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Whatever works... :p

11. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    You have to walk a couple miles in my shoes...
    My wife has the financial attention to detail of a seasoned tax investigator and the interogation skills of a Russian intelligence officer. There is no way that this kind of money is going to move undetected. I'd need to establish a dummy corporation, develop a network of overseas financial institutions and underworld contacts, utilize a complex electronic money laundering system involving the conversion of U.S. Dollar to Euros to Saudi oil to Chinese car parts....you get my point.
    It doesn't help that I have all my gear proudly displayed on stands in the living room either.
    No frickin' way are two beautiful Skjolds going to show up and not get a LOT of attention and without me getting a LOT of questions.
    I doubt I could even get the down payment through without the yell from down the hall in our computer room (where she goes over the online banking records religiously)..."WHAT THE $^&%# DID YOU JUST DO!"
    Such is my life and I must face the reality of it.

12. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio

We all feel for you bro ! :D You don't even have to mention my name :D

Pete

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Start buying flowers. Now. ;)

14. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I went back to Pete's shop again today. I had what most would describe as a borderline "religious" experience.
    I took my Roscoes with me to do a comparison and to make a long story short....there will be two SKB3006 basses for sale in about three months.
    My Roscoes are awesome without a doubt but the Skjold tone and the versatility of his pre-amp system is what I've been looking for.
    I'm going to have two custom 5 string made by Pete;

Fretted: Mahogany body, quilted maple top, ebony board, two Skjold SC-1 pickups and Skjold pre-amp

Fretless: Mahogany body, redwood top, bloodwood board,
    one Skjold C-4 pickup and Skjold pre-amp.

As I posted in my first thread, we already picked out top woods but we finalized body woods and fingerboards today.
    I did a lot of playing and listening to a variety of wood and fingerboard combinations today and these seem to fit me best.

If anyone has any questions about Pete's basses, pick-ups or pre-amp system, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
    I'll post pics as the Skjold basses develop!

15. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    +10 brother. I walk in dem shoes too. I've got gas for Pete S. but no way with a new house and holidays.

My motto: Cheaper to keep her.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    but, Matt... tell us how you REALLY feel.
    Bro, that's some strong testimony there...
    Bassksun- do we know each other?, Vegas ain't that big.
    Pete, it was great talking to you.
    God bless all, good nite... ;)

17. Matt,
    Good to meet you this afternoon. Your Roscoes are incredible! But if you're going to jump ship on them, Pete Skjold's basses are definitely the life preserver! ;)

Pete, that bass I played just was killer. I don't think I've ever heard a bass with an ebony fingerboard have THAT much growl! Your customer should be thrilled with it!

18. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Likewise! It's always great meeting people that you've read about or talked to here on TB.
    That Skjold that you played was the clincher for me as well. His basses are fantastic and that one was a step above and beyond! I think Pete is really hitting his stride in building and I'm getting in before the demand for his basses goes through the roof.
    Basso Gruvitas = super nice guy and Monster player!

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Awesome! That was how I felt after leaving Pete's shop. He really is doing something special down there in Lewisville.

I look forward to seeing your basses when they are done!

Tom.

20. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Tom,
    I had a really good look at yours! It looks awesome and the inlays look fantastic! You're gonna love it, no doubt.