1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

an alternative to G&L L2500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rome, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Rome

Rome

Nov 21, 2001
    Hi, i'm a new user and I'd like to say I'm amazed about this site. I didn't know it could exist something like this!

I've got a Fender Precision fretless and I'd like to change it into an G&L L2500 'cause I've tried one and I liked it so much.
    How much do you think I could pay for it? Is 1.400$ too much? And is it possible to get something similar (5 strings and so comfortable as the G&L L2500) at a lower price? Please give me some alternatives.
    Thank you all.

Marco

2. Try: Bass Northwest

They have a wide selection of G&L 2500s at great prices. I bought one there a couple years ago for considerably less than $1,400. I'm not sure what they are going for nowadays but you can e-mail them a quote request and they will usually get back to you with a price in a day or two.;)

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Welcome to TB.

I paid $750 for my L2500 used and in mint condition.

I bought the G&L because of the quality of it at the price. I personally think it compares to basses in much higher price ranges. This site is a great place to keep up with gear, and I can't really recall many mentions of something similar to an L2500 for less money.

It is most often compared to a Musicman Stingray 5 which averages in price from about the same to slightly more.

The only 5 string bass that I am familiar with that can be bought for less money and is of reasonable quality is the MTB Kingston 5. The Asian built version of Michael Tobias' current line. It is a good bass. You may want to try it out. It is very different than an L2500.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    You should be able to get a new or like new L-2500 for under $1000. Try Bass Northwest as someone mentioned above.

The MTD Kingston Chasarms mentioned is also a great bass, though not in the same league as the G&L. They are very playable, sound good, and for the money, they're a tremendous bargain.