1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An Alternative to Tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by IamGroot, May 2, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I prefer notation, but I often need to show the fingering, especially Bach.

Instead of tab, I just note the position I play in roman numerals on top of the sheet music.

Simple , easy. Classical guitarists have been doing this for centuries.

2. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    So you're saying that you do what's been done for centuries?

LiquidMidnight and dreamadream99 like this.
  3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Its been done for classical guitar for centuries. I am suggesting it be adopted for electric bass guitar as well.

I tried to upload a jpeg of a sample but it was too big.

4. TKenrick

TKenrick

Jun 13, 2008
    London, UK
    For me one of the biggest advantages of notation is that it allows you to explore lots of options for where and how you play something.

But yeah, Roman numerals are the way forward if a line can only really be played in a specific position.

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's common on some string scores, but more common is to indicate the string number, e.g. III° Corde, which is less complicated as the numbering will generally not go beyond IV or, rarely, V.
    The thing with standard notation is there is a boat-load more to it than pitch and time. String/position indication is not an alternative, rather an element that, unless you were a string player, you will probably never see...

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. The only pitfall I see is the double standard regarding position labels for bass. Electric Bass Guitarists think of positions as frets, whereas double bassists learn as positions and half positions.

7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Yes, that is an issue. I use the guitar convention Positions I through XII (or more). I believe this also the convention for violins.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021