an amazing boost/compression pedal for bass - that's no a bass pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SamJ, Jan 11, 2015.

1. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Ok, so just on a whim because I've been hearing about these Neve transformers for some time now I bought this yesterday and plugged it between my Keeley compression and the M81 preamp and what can I say... dang! I love this thing! It's like instant gain overdrive tone from my tube head without the necessary volume jump, but it also has a fuller / bigger tone without being too bassy.... not sure if this is because it's originally a guitar pedal or what, but I love it! It was pretty much always on today, and when I turn it off I feel like the sound is naked again... addicting.

A sleeper in "Bass pedals" in my mind... not sure of the response for 5-string bass, but all of mine are 4 and worked great!

http://www.bogneramplification.com/harlow-pedals

FullSizeRender-5 copy.jpg

Snaxster likes this.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Interesting!

blindrabbit likes this.
  3. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    I think this calls for sound clips:bassist:

Veldar, Matthew_84, Sirui and 2 others like this.
  4. Looks like they also have some dirt pedals with the Neve transformer.

Definitely interested in hearing more...

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. Sugar McGuinn

Sugar McGuinn

Feb 10, 2010
    Seattle
    I own a few Bogner pedals, Uberschall, Red Ecstasy, I know they are sold as "guitar" pedals, but I have found them to handle, not only bass, but pretty much anything you put through them. Keys, Kick Drum. I've never noted any roll off, low or high, using the Bogners (I use the Red Ecstasy as my main Bass OD). Great stuff.

I noticed in the blurb from the Bogner site, the Harlow is a boost, but also is "compressing". That's interesting... I think we definitely need to hear this thing in action ;-)

6. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Don't own or have access to any recording gear... anyone have any simple suggestions? maybe using an iphone or macbook pro? I can make a quick audio sample.

7. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

BFunk and blindrabbit like this.
  8. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

We need bass demos on all three pedals. Great stuff.

ryansalmond and blindrabbit like this.
  9. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Garageband might work for you, i use it on my macbook and love it.

Spirit of Ox and blindrabbit like this.
  10. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    But how do I get the sound form my bass amp to the computer? How do I plug in? I'm very technically weak in this area of today's computer tech. I don't make fancy YouTube videos or record anything.

11. monkeyfinger

You should be able to go directly from the effect into your mac's mic/line input. It should work fine as long as the effect is engaged. (I am assuming true-bypass.)

12. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    So id have to go from a ¼ jack to a USB? I've never seen a cable like this. But I'll look for one.

13. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Easiest thing is to get one of those 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapters so you can use your normal cords. Plug your cord into your bass like normal and use the adapter on the other end and plug into the computer.

SamJ likes this.
  14. monkeyfinger

Best would be a small USB sound card with 1/4" input. This may require spending more money than you planned at this point. But I think you will find the item a good investment.

15. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
  16. monkeyfinger

good deal.

17. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    I've never tested anything from Bogner, but Rupert Neve is The Man. Interested definitely.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    If your amp head has a line out, that can go directly to the Mac's 1/8" input, no? All that would take is an adapter or cable with the right connectors.

SamJ likes this.
  19. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    gonna try and get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and mess around with it... I've never even opened garage bad, so I gotta figure that out too

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021