an amazing boost/compression pedal for bass - that's no a bass pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SamJ, Jan 11, 2015.

1. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    Ok I just recorded it directly with the little mic in the computer... it's a very short clip with just some open strings and a quick scale .. I did this very fast and it took me a bit to figure out how to upload.. I"ll only get better at this as time goes by ;)

First sample is WITH bogner with the level turned only to 9'o clock and the second one is with it out... played on Spector NS4 thru Mesa Strategy 888... only compression and preamp with slight mid cut.

http://chirb.it/wp/P7CLbM

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    my GOD what a mess that link looks like! sorry, I'm not sure how this Chirb embedding works yet! lol

meh, and after listening to it thru the computer speakers it's much harder to tell them apart than in person.. sorry for the crappy recordings

3. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    here's another sample with my Stingray for contrast.. This time I have the Bogner second (you can hear the loud foot switch come on in the middle) I also turned up the level by about 10% for a bit more overdrive tone.

http://chirb.it/wp/O5nAAb

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    If you have the new mac it has 2 usb 3 input and also a firewire 800, just take note just in case you are getting an audio interface, anyway try recording with your iPhone?? Might not be the best solution but it does sound okay

5. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    Not sure which new mac's you're referring to as they've taken Firewire completely out as far as I know... both of mine are late 2014's.. the big thing now is "thunderbolt"

See my pathetic attempts above ;)

6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    aww that sucks, mine is 2012 model and it still have the firewire 800 ports, hopefully a cost effective thunderblot audio interface will be appearing soon, it does sound very tubey on your demo nice find

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Why oh why did Bogner have to give their pedals such awful names. If you've ever been to Harlow or Burnley you'll understand why.

Snaxster and SamJ like this.
  8. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    These are all places where Mr. Neve apparently lived and worked...

9. TerriblePeril

TerriblePeril

Nov 26, 2014
    I use the JamUp Plug (twenty USD on Amazon, ships fast) to connect to my iPad and iPhone. Running into GB works great but I'm typically using Bias or JamUp apps with interapp audio.

I got the apps and plug "interface" just to toy with but I've been shocked at how useful they are especially for myself, who typically is playing through headphones. It's great though to have a buddy over and all they have to bring with is their preferred stringed instrument, plug it into the iPad (with pedals in front if so desired) and plug the stereo out into a JamHub for nearly silent jamming.

SamJ likes this.
  10. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    thanks ... I'm not really a big "Recording" guy anyway... I just wanted to get a sample up for people to hear this pedal.

11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've found the bloom knob adds a great mysterious "squish" to whatever amp or bass I'm using. The volume knob at about 1 or 2 adds dynamics and a lot of beefy volume. Just a great pairing. Probably not exactly the way Bogner meant for the pedal to be used, but a great sound for bass.

SamJ likes this.
  12. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    bringing home a Saturn V today fresh from the Spaceman's lab's.. Gonna see if this one works better than the Harlow, or is it just different.... I'll report back my findings.

13. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Last night I tried my Harlow pedal again. This time I tried using it as an effect, alone and paired with various overdrives. Also I used a different bass, a J type with a preamp.

This time I discovered one new behavior: sub-octave ghost notes.

Seriously. At first I thought I was hearing who knows what. But after repeated tests, I was certain of it. When using high compression (the bloom knob about 3/4 open or more) with bass guitar, fret an A on the E string and play something in that range, fingerstyle, digging in a bit. You will hear a deep stuttering. It is not a "compression artifact". Rather it is a synthetic note one octave below the note you are playing; maybe also two octaves below. The sub-octave ghost notes sputter, but they are produced consistently.

Since I was using the bass's preamp to boost bass frequencies a little, I thought that might be the cause. But it wasn't. When I ran the preamp flat, the Harlow still produced sub-octaves when set for high compression.

My conclusion? Bogner is doing something tricky and interesting in the Harlow circuit, but he meant for it to be used with guitar specifically, not with bass guitar. As bass guitarists, we like the low compression and massive boost behaviors of the Harlow. But we simply lucked out. If we try to use this pedal in all the usual bass guitar ways, it will behave oddly.

I think that when a hot enough bass guitar signal (I used an active bass this time, but a passive bass the first time) feeds the Harlow, and the pedal is set for high compression, it cannot handle the fundamental of low frequency notes and freaks out. The resulting sound is interesting, but you won't be playing any weddings with it.

Kazoo_Legend and blindrabbit like this.
  14. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Bloom set to high does produce interesting, but perhaps not as usable sound, but I find running it around 10-11 o clock to be a very sweet full sound.

SamJ likes this.
  15. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    My new found setting is Level at 2-3, bloom at 10-11, and tone at 13:00..

BTW, got a Spaceman Saturn V coming today... gonna contrast this boost with it, and also try and combine the two and see what I get.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Yes, indeed, that is a sweet spot. So far, I'm liking a little less Bloom. It's as if I'm trying to find how little I can use, yet still get that special sound. ;)

17. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    Just added the Saturn V to the mix.. two words!

Freakin Awesome! It's a more subtle, more linear boost, without the compression... and the build quality, as well as warranty is in a class of it's own.

I've since re-arranged it so the Saturn V is 1st in the pedal board... this was at the recommendation of Spaceman.

FullSizeRender-1 copy.jpg FullSizeRender-3 copy.jpg

son_of_mogh likes this.
  18. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Ann Arbor, MI
    resurrecting this thread. Are folks still enjoying their Bogner Harlow?

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021