Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An amazing little amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I went to a blues jam last night. I was told there would be an amp available so I didn't have to bring my Bergie and iAMP800.

When I got there I saw one of these: :confused:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/PRODUCTS/COMBOS/MB150E112/mb150e112.html

I was amazed at how clean, punchy and warm my bass sounded (Marcus Miller V). :eek: Even the low B was good. I'm sure if the jam had been a louder rockier thing the amp might have had a tougher time but the jam was all blues at a repectable volume in a really nice room. What a great little amp!!!

Will I ever need my Bergie? I have a HT115 which is fantastic. I was offered a HT112 on a trade for another bass. I am thinking this might not be a bad idea. HT115 for the louder gigs and the HT112 for the quieter stuff. I still want the HT210 anyway.

2. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    These are great little amps. I have had one for years, and it has served me well in small venues and jams. Add a 1X12 extension cab and it's even more amazing and useful.

3. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Agree, too.

I have the older GK model with only 100 W.

For small rehearsals I use it by itself.
    I sometimes pair it up with the iAMP800 (out of the Headphone or DI) and into the effect return. The iAMP drives a CXL112, the GK adds some warm mids. This little stack cuts through 2x heavy 80s guitars.

Wolfram

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I own one of these and while it's good for what it is (small, light and loud), I'm not completely enamored by its sound - it's kind of nasal and boxy, and that characteristic is emphasized when you turn it up. Good thing GK provided a versatile preamp section. It needs it, IMO.

It sounds better when it's running through a bona fide bass cab.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk a combo! run away! run away!
    on the serious side - why not just get a lil cab for your i amp for smaller gigs?

6. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Why not bring iAmp and small cab?
    - the GK combo is lighter than the iAMP in a rack or any other protective gear (I have mine in a Husky tool box).
    - its one thing to carry and not two (iAMP +cab)
    - it sounds pretty good at low volumes. I add a little piezo tweeter to the system, I think it sounds even better. However, not as good as the iAMP and the CXL.

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    They are great little amps. I agree with what has been said so far. They sound boxy when pushed. For thier size they are the loudest thing out there though and at lower volumes the sound is really pretty good. I've been keeping my eyes open for a while for another amp with this kind of portablility and enough power to gig but so far haven't found much.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Boxy your ole mumma's50's TV set, now tha is boxy. I've heard lots of combo's that are boxy, but this compared to them is nothing.
    DBists have discovered it decades ago, seen them at lots of jazz gigs, and they beat the living crap out of a lot of other combos
    my only problem with them is that they are not cheap and are very hard to find used around here (all DBists stick to their lil' ol' mini MB)

Oh and the MB150S is better imo

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    When you push it it will get boxy. This can be remedied by using the EQ. I've used both the MBS and MBE versions and the only diff to my ears is the versatility the semi-parametric EQ adds to the MBE.
    I've had my MBE for 12 years gigging with it an avarage of a couple times a week. This thing is a real workhorse! I'm keeping mine till it blows - sorry mutantbassist ;)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that is a fun little box!

great for low volume whatnot, and not really suited for any gigs louder than acoustic jazz or coffeehouse stuff.

and its light as heck, compared to similar 1x12 combos.

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great little amps! I carry mine in a gig bag every Sunday to church. Amp strap (gig bag) on one shoulder and bass in other hand. When you don't need high volume it's definitely the ticket!