Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Amazing Squire??!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lecollectif, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Lecollectif

Lecollectif

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    A friend of mine recently won a Squire Pbass in a Fender contest. I was futzing around with it the other day, and for some reason it had one of the best tones I've ever heard. I was completely shocked. One of the best sounding basses I've ever played.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Diamonds in the rough have been know to exist :)

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My Squire Affinity strat came free with my precision. It's an AMAZING guitar, I love it a lot.

4. my squire P still plays great after all these years. the tone is great and I never had to mess with the neck/truss rod the action is nice and low without buzzing something I find hard to achieve on my more expensive basses. the only problem I have with it is that the tone knob is a little crackly It is not a big deal though.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Drummer friend of mine has an Affinity P that he gave me to change strings and do a setup on it.

I played that thing one entire weekend with great pleasure.

You just never know.

6. I GOT ONE FROM THE LADY THAT WORKS AT THE SHIPPING STORE I BRING MY PACKAGES FOR EBAY. SHE SAID HER SON DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY BASS. O.K. I GOT IT FOR $75.00 PLUS A SOFT CASE AND A CRATE BASS AMP THROWN IN. IT PLAYS REALLY DECENT. I USE IT AS A BACK-UP NOW INSTEAD OF LUGGING AROUND MY P BASS SPECIAL. ID RATHER LOSE A $75.00 BASS OVER A $500.00 BASS. :bassist:

7. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Make sure it is wired correctly, if so then swap out the pot (witha 500k one too :) ) My P has the tone cap wired incorrectly.

I picked up my squier p used. I went with a guitarist friend of mine to pawn shops and music stores looking at the used equipment. Probably tested out 40 some basses under $150. The P stood out amongst the rest, and was the cheapest of everything I looked at.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I like mine. Other people don't but I do.

9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I witnessed that with a squier J, that sounded so sweet that my teacher bought the thing, I teased him that the bass sounded nice because the pups seemed misplaced according to the strings. :D

10. I play an Affinity P, and aside from some pickup noise and a couple of small issues with the neck, I think it's a great bass! It gets a pretty good room-shaking thump if needed, through a BA115 combo and a Bass Xciter.

11. I've seen good squiers now and then. They're few and far between, but when you do come across them, they're worth picking up.

12. I was in a local music store and played a Squier Jazz Bass just for kicks, and it turned out to be the best sounding bass in the store, and even the best sounding Jazz Bass Ive ever played.

13. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    There is a Squier P Special that has been hanging around for some time in a local music store that plays and sounds amazing. There are some real good Squiers to be had.

14. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

Dude, stop yelling! ;)

15. My brother has a killer Made in Korea Squier Precision. It's a bit of an odd duck. The headstock has a Fender decal circa late '80s/early '90s with Squier in small black lettering. The bass is Daphne Blue (probably a poplar or basswood body due to the weight) with a beautiful rosewood fretboard. We recently did an A/B with my '69 Precision, and his Squier gets closer to the classic Jamerson tone in my opinion.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I own a squier, it's my one and only. Soon Geddy will be joining the family though. but here's my baby! I'm soon replacing the pickups and tuners. Hipshot tuners, dunno what kind of picks ups yet. But i'm adding 2 Bartolini Jazz picks up Stu Hamm Style! i had a custom gold metal pickguard on, and replaced the knobs. I love this thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I have a decent Affinity P but it has some of the standard problems I read about and something weird with the bridge. The electronics on mine make a nice crackling sound when I have it set to the trebblier sounds, and one of the pickups came with a bad screw so it is almost impossible to take it out. I have never read anything about someone complaining about their bridge being borderline falling off after about 4 months of owning it but that is an issue with mine. Thought I must admit, I like the sound it produces more than the SUB 5 i was considering as my next bass I tried at one of my local music stores.

18. lifelesscreep

lifelesscreep

Mar 19, 2004
    i'm lost
    i have had my squire pbass for about 2 years now and i love it. it has always played good. the knobs are a little crackly but other than that it is an incredible bass!

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have an Affinity P-bass that I've just converted to fretless and I slapped some flatwounds on it. I LOVE the neck!

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I once checked out a Squier Affinity and the tone was great.

I've been told that these insruments have poor hardware and that the tuners are the first to go.