1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

An American Cultural Icon, Gone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Jan 4, 2012.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They discontinued Kodachrome film a long time ago...never stopped me from singing it!

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Kodak was definitely an innovator. Unfortunately, it seemed like they were unable to keep up with the change in technology that revolutionized photography (hey, kind of like the music industry that tried to litigate its way back to prosperity using an archaic business model). I'm not saying that's the only thing that contributed to this - I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff - but it definitely seemed like Kodak wasn't trying to keep up with the times.

4. They tried to build me-too digital compact cameras....

As with anything else, you need to lead and not follow.

5. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    The Federal government (in the USA) still uses film cameras for a great many thing including law enforcement. This is due to several actual advantages of chemical based photography. Kodac may have gotten some hot water economically and competition from Fuji but film photography will continue.

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Kodak's main failing point was not switching over to digital sooner. They held out with film too long. Nothing against film, but most photography (at least amateur) these days is digital.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    didn't even know they still existed...

Although my liqueur store still sells with Kodak film 400

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Didn't they discover the silicon who-Z-what's-it that's the basis for all digital photography?

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    An engineer for Kodak invented the digital sensor actually... so while some of you say Kodak needed to keep up with the times aren't exactly correct. They WERE the times, they just didn't do what they needed to do with it (market it, advance it, keep focus on it). Then they tossed aside the Olympics, where Fuji came in and sponsored instead, and everyone started talking Fuji, not Kodak.
    Someone will invariably buy up the company for the many patents...

10. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I can't really find the source for my information, but they were slow to market digital cameras or something.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    My Grandfather worked for Kodak back in the day, and was instrumental in the development of the Instamatic camera and the flashcube. At one point Kodak employed 60,000+ people in the Rochester, NY area....... today that number is closer to 5,000.

Sad day for my hometown.

12. They ended processing a while ago. I remember sending in my dad's rolls to be processed like a week before it ended.

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Incidentally, I've sung Kodachrome in Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah.

1.1282993160.kodachrome-basin-state-park-entrance.

14. Goodbye to the night's bright colors, and to the greens of summer. :(

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    They really broke the American family into photography with the Browne. The instimatic was the digital point and shoot of the day in the 70's. And Kodachrome 25 was the finest proffesional color film ever made. But by the 80's Fuji Velvia really started to cut into their business.

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I work for Kodak and have since 81. This statement pretty much sums it up. George Fisher was the worst thing that happened to Kodak. Most of the bad decisions were made under his watch.