an amp, wah?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evilbob101, Aug 13, 2001.

1. well, i have a rogue amp right now (pretty sure its a 15). i want to upgrade soon, but im not sure where to start. i know that i want something that will last a while. i also dont care for the one's w/ the tube sound ( sounds like the sound is circling its way inside a bottle or something). i want something w/ BASS! but i have no idea dumb right now when it comes to amps, i know where to plug things into, and how to adjust the sound. and that is about!
  2. How much are you willing to spend? How loud do you want to be? Are you in a band? If so, what kind of amps are other people playing through?
  3. $1500. i want to be able to get it loud, but not loud enough to wear it sounds like crap when i play, and not loud enough to cause severe deafness (lol, i only want that temporaray deafness stuff...) i dont play in a band currently, but i hope to soon, so i wouldnt have a single idea what any of them would use. wouldnt matter much right now even if i did start now. im only 16, not going to be the greatest thing since sliced
  4. Anything you get will beat the rogue, easily. Just make sure it's 300 watts or more. I would get a head that's 300 watts or more and a couple speakers. You'll probably end up upgrading if you get something less than 300w.
  5. Go to your local music retailer, sit down with YOUR bass (it's YOUR sound you're after, not that of someone else's bass) and plug it into plenty of different rigs - get an idea of what sounds like what, and what sound you prefer.

Remember that the sound you hear while playing alone is not necessarily what is best when playing with others - selecting a rig that gives some tonal ability (EQ, decent tone section) will give you flexibility later.

Try different sized speakers (8", 10", 15", 18") to see where your sound lies. Smaller speakers will generally have more punch, midrange and high frequency ability than larger, however larger speakers will generally provide more low-end.

Remember that tube amps require more $$ for regular servicing, and need to be cared for a little better than solid-state amps.

6. is that what those tube sounding ones are called....mmmkay. (shudders). ill make sure to try that. thx
  7. Tubes (vacuum tubes, often called Valves in other countries) are the precursor to today's modern transistors (solid-state).

There are a number of differences between tube and solid-state amps - size, weight, power requirements, output, distortion/signal breakup, sound characteristics, etc. Probably far too many to discuss in detail (for now, anyways) - that's why you should let your ears be the judge of what sounds good to YOU. Generally solid-state amps will sound a little cleaner than tube amps - the slight distortion that you hear with tube amps is what gives them their warmth and sound.

Don't let my comment about servicing tube amps scare you - most amps require help at some stage in their life, it's just that you have to be a little more careful with tube amps (tubes, being vacuum-filled glass, can break and fail). I must say that so far the worst i've had happen to me with a tube amp is blown fuses.
  8. thx for the info nil. didnt know hardly anything about them until now....but im not scared of the servicing. I just dont like the 'warmth' it gives off. the sound is just not mine.....but thx for the info :D :D