an ampeg head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deer_tick70, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Im looking forward to getting a nice 350 Watt half stack, the head i was looking at was an ampeg 350 anniversery head and on the site i read later that "the sound of the 60's and 70's tube sound" kinda deal and i wanted to know if that 70's sound was still good for playing like funk bass and low heavey stuff. Ive heard ampeg can have a range of tone and stuff so im really confused etc about the whole 70's sound. And i planned on getting just a 4 10 ampeg cab long with it if that matters to much.
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    try to get to mars/guitarcenter/samash/etc. and play some ampegs. the 350 anniversary is pretty expensive, and totally old skool sounding. if you're looking for a tight funk sound i'd shop around affordable 'solution' would be an ampeg b2r (350w) and an ampeg ported 4x10. that cost you about 1200-ish. pretty good deal.
  3. the "70's tube sound" is refered to by ampeg is basicly the "SVT" the orginial ampeg amp. It was all tube, and many bass players believe this is "the" sound to lust after. also this tone is known as "fat". i dont think that the b2r will give you the tone you want. I think you should stick wiht tube amps if you want a fat warm sound.
  4. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If portability is an issue, be sure to remember that the big, fat tone of a tube amp comes at the cost of a big, heavy head (probably at least 70 lbs.).
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The SVT 350 AV is not a tube amp. It's a solid state amp in the same chasis as the original all tube SVT heads. So the B2R <i>is</i> very compatable in sound to the SVT 350 AV. If you're looking to use just one cabinet, I'd personally go with the B2R & the SVT 410 HLF cab. The cab is a 4ohm cab & will draw 350wts from the head.Great combonation. If later you'll be looking to add another cab, the HLF isn't a good choice. Maybe an 8ohm 410 & 15".:)

Contrary to popular beleif, Ampeg makes great stuff & they stand behind what they make!!!!
  6. The Ampeg B2r and the SVT350 are the same amps, only in different packages. They will sound exactly the same. They dont really have the "Ampeg sound" because they arent tube, like the original SVT is.