1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An animal tried to break into my house

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dinghy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    [​IMG]

Luckily it wasn't very big. It's actually caught between the screen door and the window pane of my sliding glass door. My dog was making a ruckus* and when we went to check it out this mouse was scurrying* around.

Does it look domestic? It looks to clean to be a wild animal. Should we try to trap it and see if someone lost it?

*words I do not actually use talking to people.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No, it's just a wild brown mouse. Nothing out of the ordinary. We call that "snake food"

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's not domestic, that is definitely a wild grizzly rat. The scientific name is "mammalian ursus horriblus" Most of us Grizzly Adams types just call them "mean Mofo rats". I've encountered a few in the wild myself. I was lucky though, I had a Shotgun with several rounds handy. The one caught in your door is a Juvenile, adults can reach 400 pounds and a length of five feet! Proceed carefully, Do not touch it! You didn't touch it did you? The Mothers have a mean maternal protective streak. They've been known to brake down windows or crash thru doors if they feel their young have been threatened or touched. I would simply, drive to the next county, purchase several large firearms, night vision gear (their nocturnal) and stay away from your house about a week or so. The Juvenile can chew his way thru glass or screen doors to get out and she shouldn't damage your house to bad. If you see more then one, it's time to relocate, same if it defecates your porch with bodily waste (marking it's territory). When one $h!t$ on your porch it's all over.

If you need any more advice on Grizzly rat behavior feel free to PM me, or Dig me (Brad Cook) or Diggler. Brad especially, he's been known to kill several wild beast with his bare hands.

4. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Hilarious. We've had snakes in my house. Nothing big, just hidding under the piano.

The worst one was actually outside my sisters window. There was a possum out there growling and making noises and basically scaring the **** out of my sister. In order to get rid of it my dad had to whack it a couple of times with a baseball bat. :eek: I wasn't old enough to be cognisant of any of this stuff.

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Don't worry about me, I have Chuck Norris's phone number. All I have to worry about now is this several-thousand-pound mound of droppings covering my welcome mat. I think my dog might be in there somewhere. I may have to

OH DEAR GOD IT'S THROUGH THE DRYWALL CALL 911

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, that thing is nothing. You have to look out for THESE!!!

DSCF3664.

7. Chupacabra!

8. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Inconceivable!!

Sounds like a case of Rodents of Unusual Size:
    [​IMG]

9. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Child's play! check out the NZ weta- I've never run into one this large, but found several others..... they bite too.
    weta%20in%20hand%20.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Wusses all

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    One of those landed on my mum's arm once when she came to visit me. This woman will happily spend an entire day in her bedroom if she sees a spider on the staircase - imagine how she reacted to that. ;)

12. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Now clearly this animal threatens your life. Keep a gun under your pillow.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    No the problem is not with this one, it's it's 100 or so family members IN your house right now.

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I woke up with one of these on my face once. Worst part? I thought it was a spider! (it was dark, I'd been asleep) Did I turn on the light and look for it? Damn straight I did, found the bugger too.

15. I think he's kinda cool looking. :)

16. Princess Bride quote, FTW!

(...you beat me to it, dammit! :spit: )

17. Naw, that's just a little field mouse. You see that one. You don't see the other 25 already in your house.

You can tell spring is coming as my cat has already caught and maimed 2 bird and brought them into my cellar for me to step on barefoot when I do the laundry. SOB!

I get these trying to break into my house often.
    [​IMG]

Yup. Dobsonflys. Scary creepy.

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nothing like a good R.O.U.S. to start your morning.

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    This is a thread where 10 gauge sawed-off shotguns loaded with deerslugs would be very appropriate solutions.

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    A Gun? Just one? Your obviously Canadian. Any American worth his salt would face the threat of the Wild Grizzly Rat with a Plethora of Automatic Weapons. Anything that would fit under your pillow is simply not capable. I can understand the misunderstanding, being that I've never seen a wild Grizzly Costal Canadian Rat that was more then 200 ponds, You can stop them with a European Air Gun. But the wild Grizzly Rats from the west coast, thats a different beast altogether. And you also have to remember, they hunt in packs.