an appology towards the M.HOPPUS bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Nov 27, 2003.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I was at G.Center last week and was waiting while a friend was playing a 71 p-bass,so the closest bass next to me was the Hoppus p-bass.
    I picked the bass up and was blown away by the quality and sound of this bass !
    Now granted i had played more than a few of these basses in my many trips to various music stores BUT i never played one that was this good, I'LL explain.
    All the others were typical mexican quality Fenders,average frett work,weak p-ups,cheesy necks in need of a major set-up,But not this one.
    It was well made in all the depts,well set fretts,evenly applied flawless paint job and a great set-up to match.
    And was on sale for 325,00$ ! I could not pass it up, it was love at first site.
    I must admit i would be the first one to jump on the anti HOPPUS band wagon,but it was with complete justification,every other one i had played was junk,(around the 10 or so mark).
    But this just validates my claim that fender mexico 's quality control varies immenselly from one bass to the next,while one bass being a piece of crap and the next being a piece of fine craftsmanship is way to much to vary in any piece of work.
    So after some research I found out that the M.Hoppus is a bit better than the standard Mexican line of basses,it uses alder instead of basswood,has a string through bridge,S.Duncan p-ups instead of mexican stock ones and much more attention to detail when it comes to the frett work.
    So with that said i applogize for bashing this bass,look around and maybe you'll find one good one in a otherwise sea full of driftwood quality basses.:bassist:
  2. FYI, the Fender basses coming out of Mexico have poplar bodies, with the exception of the Aerodyne, which is basswood.

A lot of the Squiers are basswood. They're not made in Mexico.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    You are wrong Aerodyne is not mexican...its made in Japan

small detail...
  4. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    The MIM Zone is Alder with a string through body. Feels great, sounds killer. All active bass! As with most basses needs setup.
  5. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I guess I'm trying to say that is that Mex fenders could use better quality control,because I played a few other ones(M.HOPPUS basses)at another store and they were of much poorer quality with necks better suited for archery.
    I also know that a set-up is a preference in action and pick-up height,but it seems like some come from the factory more 'PLAYABLE" than others.
    And the poplar comment is correct,the Jazz and P-bass from mex. is poplar,but there is a Squier model that was made in mexico, Guitar Center had 2 of them and they were from 1995(I did'nt believe it either till I seen them).
    The Aerodyne bass is Japanese which is why its one of the better basses in its price range being sold today.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    IMHO the aerodyne could be alot better if they put better pickups and used a different wood such as alder or ash. It was the most disappointing bass i've ever played, next to a Gibby Thunderbird. :(
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario There are two MIM basses at my local store -- a P and a J -- and on the little feature sticker Fender puts on the standard series, it says alder. There was another one in there a few months ago that was, also, alder. Never once have I seen a poplar made MIM Fender at that store, although I do recall seeing something to that effect on Musician's Friend under the features list more than a little while ago. It would seem Fender has changed their materials.

EDIT: Since 95. Sorry, didn't notice that until I posted.
  8. fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Yep all MIMs are now alder tryed 3 before getting a yamaha...why are so many fenders at GC setup so bad? The P here had 3/8" or more high and a saddle was falling over. My first Jazz was missing a saddle screw completly. I didnt try the bass you are taking about...but it looked cool.
  9. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Went to GC yesterday to buy a Deluxe Precision Special. Both of them that they had there were totally messed up. Then I spied two Active Jazzes. One had an action so high I could get my hand (up to the knuckles) between them and the fretboard. The other one was so sweet that I bought it on the spot. MIM, Alder, black with reddish tortoise PG, mid boost knob. Under $400.00.

I totally agree that the main practical difference between American and MIM Fenders is the quality control and consistency of setup.
  10. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    i thought the hoppus signature series was made in japan?:confused: