Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An "Eb Neck ? " A "Db Neck ?"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by godoze, Jan 27, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Someone was telling me today of an "Eb" neck and a "Db" neck. What on earth are these ? Something to do with the length of the neck ?

2. A "D" neck is of such length that the position for the "D" on the G-string (one octave above the D-string), is around the end of the heel of the neck. An "Eb" neck is slightly longer - i.e. the Eb is around the heel, the D being slightly farther down the neck. Of the two basses I use mostly, one has a D neck, and the other has something which is nearer to an Eb. If you really listen when you play, it shouldn't make any difference...

- Wil

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And as you can see, the answer to your question is the subject of a raging controversy among luthiers around the world, a debate that threatens to shatter the very foundation - nay, the very epicenter - of worldwide luthiery to nothing more than floating specks of toxic ebony dust.

Follow this query at your own peril.....if you dare.

5. Er, um - sorry, I didn't realise this had already been dealt with - perhaps I should spend more time browsing and less time practising... well, perhaps not...

- Wil

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well,well. My teacher never mentioned it. I guess some of the basses I have played over the years had different necks. So, instead of me thinking that I really stank all the time, it could have been me not being familiar with the bass.

Probably just me stinking up the joint.

Really though, I had no idea that this was such hot topic. Heck, I didn't even know it <b>was</b>a topic until yesterday !

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is it was people sometimes refer to as french neck and german neck ?