1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An Elephant Seal Story

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kesslari, Dec 12, 2018.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    @Tony In Philly 's travel thread reminded me about Elephant Seals.
    For those of you who don't know, they're BIG.
    a-life-size-male-elephant.

And they're pretty violent when the males fight.
    elephant-seals.

Anyway, we were walking our dogs on the beach one day and saw a large mass up ahead. Figuring it was a big dead something we quickly leashed the dogs (lest they exuberantly roll in the Large Dead Thing, something dogs love to do). As we approached we could see that it was a live Elephant Seal basking on the sand. It was a big, big animal.
    We climbed up on the dune above it, keeping a respectful distance, to watch. He would move once in a while, swat something away with his flipper, but mostly he was pretty chill.

We watched a couple of hippies wandering down the beach (note - no hippies were harmed in the writing of this story). The way they were walking suggested use of some kind of mind-altering substance. One of the young men approached the seal slowly, talking softly - a kind of "good vibes will with the day and we're all brothers and sisters, right giant seal?" thing.

It's surprising how fast these big, bulky seals can move, and the big guy was up in a reared-up aggressive posture and about 10 feet from where he had been napping in about a second. It's also surprising how fast stoned youth can get out of the way...

The seal went back to his nap. The young folks took a wide circle around him and continued down the beach.

2. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I guess the same type of folks who want to cuddle with a cute black bear are the same types who will walk up to pet a 5,000 pound Elephant Seal.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Heh! We saw plenty of similar shenanigans at Ano Nuevo Park when doing the coastal jaunt from SF to Santa Cruz several years ago. This, right in front of park rangers who were clearly neither surprised or amused. Really fab park though, and an incredible spectacle seeing adult male confrontations.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’m constantly amazed at the number of otherwise reasonable people who insist on trying to assign human temperment and/or behavior to animals.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    African_elephant_warning_raised_trunk.
    +
    seal.
    =
    dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA1MC8wNTYvb3JpZ2luYWwvbWFsZS1lbGVwaGFudC1zZWFsLmpwZw==.
    ?

dwm74, TOOL460002, 12BitSlab and 3 others like this.
  6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA

7. I think you just discovered the source of the singer's facial scars. He was clearly fighting off an intruding male.

Bryan R. Tyler likes this.