An Embarassing Yet Funny Story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 14, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    So Im playing a wedding reception last Saturday. (My 1st one too) Ive got a great mindset, lm not nervous at all. Totally thinking Im gonna go great and not mess up a thing.

1st set comes and goes without any problems or mistakes on my part. So Im even happier.

Then we start up the 2nd set and in mid set, I decide I want to walk around a bit more so I take a few steps and low and behold I find the one wet/slick spot on the floor, sending me straight on my back.

After I regain my thoughts (and a some of my pride) as well as to try and play it off like its all good, I just laid there right where I fell playing the song untill the was over.

Just thought Id share the most embarassing moment Ive ever had on a stage with all of you.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Awwwww.... :oops:

You´ll remember this fondly in a couple of years :)

I hope I´ll never take a fall like that on stage.....

cross my fingers, knock on wood etc.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This one was pretty good... One of my old bands used to be somewhat animated on stage. Y'know, doing the whole jumping around thing and stuff.
    Anyway, one time I went to jump on a chair while playing and the motion accidentally pulled my cord right out of my amp. Needless to say, I had no idea why there was no more bass at first, and believe me, I ran like heck to plug that thing back in.
    Predictably, I heard a lot about that from everyone after the gig...
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I did something like that..just that the cord was in the amp too hard and it pulled the amp off the table...I now own a 20 foot long cable.
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Just like Charlie Brown and the football. Or Nigel Tufnel.
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah,if i ever get a gig,im getting a LONG cord.i would not want any accidents!
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've had my bass unplug on me onstage a few times too -- it was very embarrassing for me, but not quite as embarrassing as my most embarrassing moment:

I think it was only my band's third gig and I was going to open with my version of "The Star Spangled Banner." I had practiced this thing dozens of times and nailed it dead-on each time, but as gig time approached, I became more and more nervous. We took the stage and all eyes were on me -- man, was I nervous! About halfway through, I started to struggle. I hit a few wrong notes and my timing was off (I'm getting nervous again just typing this), but I struggled on. Anyway, I finished the song, looked at my guitarist, shrugged and shook my head and we started into "Paranoid." At the end of the set, I went to talk to my parents and my best friend, who gave me props for continuing on with it. He said if it had been him, he probably would've given up after the first few mistakes. I did feel good about the fact that I hadn't given up and I was gonna get through this if it kills me, but I still felt bad. It was at this time that I went out for some air and the lead guitarist's wife looked at me and said, "You really need to practice that!" The whole rest of the band was there, along with a few good looking chicks and I wanted to crawl under a table and hide for the rest of the night. I told her that it was very hard to get up there and even attempt what I had attempted and left it at that. My rhythm guitarist even tried to defend me (the only time he has ever defended my point of view in the seven-plus years I have known him). A few weeks later we played a banquet hall and I decided that I wanted to come back from break with "The Banner," as I would likely be less nervous if I had already been playing. The lead guitarist's wife says to me, just before we took the stage again, "Don't screw it up!" Nice. This time, I played it flawlessly and even had the crowd singing along and cheering me on. Whew!

To this day, I have never been embarrassed like I was at that gig. :(