1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

An Epi I dont recognize

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charles21o7, Jul 22, 2004.

1. I was lookin around the local flea market the other day , and I came across this real vintage looking bass. Its a six string , the head stock is made of stainless steel I think , or atleast plated with it, its got about six volume and tone knobs all together and is in a red-wood-sunburst color. At first look I thought it was a Peavey, then when I got closer I saw it was an Epiphone. I am not familliar with this model , never seen an epi like this. When I asked the seller how much for the bass he responded in these exact words " Boy that aint no bass, thats a guitar, one played by Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen gave it to em. But son its 3000$". The guy seemed like a hardheaded dumbass so I didnt bother telling him that Van Halen giving that "Guitar" to Hendrix was impossible. But it got me real curious about the bass and i searched all over the net looking and have found nothing, so does anyone know what this bass is?? Any info at all?? Not that id buy it , cause im almost broke, but Im just interested. The guy wouldnt let me play or even touch it. But it stirred up my curiousity.

2. was it a bass or was it a guitar?
    i know there were six string basses tuned to a guitar only an octave lower like the fender bass VI (MAJOR GAS ATTACK!!) and i know gibson made a bass like that, only in the SG,thunderbird and 335 shape...btw, what shape was it?

Charlie

3. It was a Bass, in the shape of like a cross between a Warwick Thumb and a Peavey Grind. Nothing Id ever seen by Gibson or Epi. Now that i think about it , it kinda looked like a Lee Sklar bass but much bigger and the cutaway was much smaller.

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Go find the guy and call him a stupid redneck.